Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: To uni-rig or sloop-rig
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just wondering how easy it would be for me to sloop-rig for the first time by myself. Probably not real easy. I was thinking that I should go uni-rig at first but not sure if the rigging would allow me to do this. Does the forestay line need to be swapped out since it looks like it's set up for the jib or would it be fine to use? I'm thinking if I want to go the uni-rig way with it, I'll need to get a forestay adjuster, is this correct? I'm looking to be sailing this puppy in the next week so any advice is greatly appreciated. Also, on the 14T, where is the chainplate for the shroud lines? It's not on the rail where I thought it would be. I can't see where these lines might attach to. :roll: I have shroud adjusters at the ends of the lines.

Thanks
J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you have experience with a jib then I'd say go for it. If you're just used to Sunfish or something with only one sail then maybe get used to the Hobie like that and add the jib when you feel more comfortable. :)

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, it seems that being that these hulls are of 1976 I think I need a couple of tangs to go on the outside of the hull to secure the shrouds. On later models I think there is a chain plate but on mine it looks as if the shrouds connect to the side of the hulls. I was looking on ebay and saw a 16 with hulls like mine and it looks like the shrouds are connected to the hulls. Is there a part number for these tangs? I was thinking of getting bow tangs and putting them in the spot where it looks like they would bolt on. What do you guys think? Could I connect the shrouds to the dolphin striker?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The shrouds on a 14 connect to a tang on the side bars of the tramp. For a turbo, or sloop rig, these tangs also have an attachment for a wire to run under the tramp. This is what your jib sheet blocks are attached to.

On the 16, there is a bar that sits under the lip of the deck, and a chainplate that screws through the deck into this.

I'm not sure what you mean by connecting the shrouds to the dolphin striker. If you mean connecting them to the bolts on the corner casting, I think that would be too far forward, and would not hold the mast up.

hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Okay,
I'm an idiot. :lol: I actually have a 16 and not a 14. The guy that sold it to me said it was a 14 so I figured it was. I just checked the Hull ID and it is a model E which I can assume is a 16. Plus, my registration says it's a 16ft boat. I should've grabbed a clue when I saw that. So, I've been in the wrong forum all along. I'll start chattin' it up in there.