Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 8:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wind was 10-15 gusting to 20 or so. Went out with Ming on the 14 (doesn't really like 330# crew weight though) and I had her captain about 70% of the time. She's really starting to like being in charge. ;)

Anyway, had a great time, flipped twice. Now is it just me or is the 14 way harder to right than my 16? The mast didn't take on any water, but it just seems like with the 16 when I capsize, as long as I move with some speed to get on the righting line then it doesn't think about turtling. OTOH today both times the 14 flipped and just kept going. The first time I was able to halt the capsize and get the boat up without it going totally turtle, but the second time I stabbed the mast into the mud. (2' of mud on the gal dang mast! That was 10 minutes of fun with the hose later in the afternoon.)

Anyway, I guess I'm just asking if anyone else has noticed that the 14 wants to go over faster than the 16 and what you do about it. Meanwhile I guess I'll run an empty bleach bottle up the mast with the sail. :?

Edit: This new aftermarket sail is cut fat as hell. :? I can downhaul & outhaul as much as possible and the damn thing is still crazy fat. It's fatter than my blown out 32-year-old H16 sail. So far that's cool because it hasn't been too windy when I've been out on the boat, but I forsee a day when the West Texas winds take advantage of this thing. :shock:

Jim