Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mainsheet question
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So Ming's (my) H14 has a 4:1 mainsheet with which I presume it came. Kind of tough to pull in. Would it be possible (that is, class-legal) for me to replace that with the 5:1 that was on my H16? Not that I'm planning to do any class racing in the 14, but I'm curious. :)

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yo, we all had 6:1 main blocks when we raced in NY and FL. I just took them off of my beloved 16. Sheet was kind of long, but managable.
You should really race that 14 sometime. Kinda gets in your blood. Really alot of fun to race.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd probably be more competitive if I didn't have to do a 3-point turn 50% of the time. LOL Still trying to get the tacks down. Also still trying to figure out why the damn boat wants to turtle every time I capsize. :p

Any pointers y'all might have would be appreciated. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Most of us do the '3 point' turn.

Why do 14s Turtle, because. Mine does EVERY stinkin' time. I go to great lenghts to keep her upright after putting 'stains of shame' on my new main. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

YAR! AVAST! Image That's no good. I think I'll run an empty bleach bottle up the mast with the main. Might keep the mast out of the mud, even if it doesn't keep it on the surface. :? I just think the bob looks silly. :sigh:

I tell you what though, I've been teaching Ming to captain on the 14 and she's doing GREAT for having done it for 2 days now! I'm really impressed with her progress. In fact, she accomplished some of the best tacks of the day Sunday. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Okay, where did you get the pirate emoticon?? We're back to doing the pirate thing again I see. You should drive up to Storm Lake Iowa in August, as they're having a 'Pirates of the Carribean' costume party at the Divisionals there. Should be pretty fun, and begs the question 'But why is the rum gone?' :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Google small image search for "pirate." Image

Iowa is kinda far from TX to drive for a costume party race thingy. Also, I will be deployed in August, hoping to get some sailing in on the Persian Gulf. Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yea, I suppose it is a bit far to race and get sh##faced in a pirate costume.
Hope there is fair winds in the Gulf, and be safe and......Thanks.
cw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jim, Actualy I belive it was the Seaman's Club in Dubai UAE, Moral Welfare Recreation (MWR) set up a group of us Sailing 16's. 4 boats a total blast wind was 10 to 15 Knts Water Temp was around a 100 Outside was 120+. That was in the Aug 1999. your sweat evaporated imediately drink lots of fluids

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow dood. Sounds like fun! That's not where I'll be, unfortunately, but I hear the locals have a sailing club; my only problem is going to be having the time to get into town, sail, and get back out to the airbase. :? Oh well. Must concentrate on the 14 and 16 right now. Cowton Cats is coming up. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

xanderwess wrote:
Why do 14s Turtle, because. Mine does EVERY stinkin' time. I go to great lenghts to keep her upright after putting 'stains of shame' on my new main. :oops:

Okay, silly fix for this one: I epoxied the caps on two gallon-size (empty) water jugs and after I had the shackle on the head of the sail Saturday, I ran a line through the shackle and tied each end to a jug. I tied 'em up firmly against the sail so they wouldn't flop around.

When we accidentally capsized, they held the mast right at water level, which is better than I had hoped for. :)

Try it!