Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Howdy,
I am a long time Hobie 16 sailor. I sold my Hobie about 6yrs ago when my two oldest girls were very young. I took up drag racing and have just now purchased a mint condition Hobie 14 turbo. I plan to use this boat to teach my girls to sail. I considered purchasing a Hobie Wave, but thought it would be slower than the 14. Am I correct?

Thanks,
Danny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes you are correct. It is not as fast but it is better for teaching since it has a much higher person capacity. It is also much easier to tack and will not flip over as easily. It is also much easier to right if they flip. This is the best boat for children is is still fun to sail as an adult even though it is slower.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

It's been a while since I've had time to post on the forum, but I had to weigh in on this. I believe that unless your kids are very young, the turbo is the better boat to learn on. It may be somewhat less forgiving to sail, and a little harder to master, but they also won't outgrow it as quickly. 14's can be a handful in higher winds and waves, but it's best to learn in lighter air anyway. Also, the turbo's faster! ( I think the Wave needs more sail and lighter hulls!) Enjoy the 14!- Dave ('82 14t 40381)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I dunno, those waves keep right up with the 14s alot of the time. I haven't found a downside to the Wave yet, and I own 2 14s.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys,
I took my 2 oldest girls out for a sail today. Beautiful weather, 10 knot winds, sun, and lots of sailboats out. I was very impressed with the 14. My girls loved it, and I thought it sailed much like the 16 I used to have. It was fast and responsive, very stable, and not difficult to tack. Best of all it was lighter than my 16, since I have to do all the work- unloading and loading it back up on to the trailer. I bought the boat and trailer in close to mint condition for $1000 last weekend. I guess I made a good choice, the least expensive Wave that I came across was selling for $3400. :D