Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My mast is now jumping over the mast stops on the boat. The only thing that changed was the addition of a new forestay, so I coul put the trap wires and the stays on one shackle on the mast. My old forestay would be maxed out (mast all the way foreward) in hole 3 on the adjuster; with the new forestay from murrays, it is in the bottom hole and the mast is raked aft more than I would like; the new foresta is aproximatly 1 1/4 in longer than the old one.

A)When was the forestay lengthened (I believe I had the orginal rigging that came with my boat, which is a 73 (hull #'s 4303))?

B)Can I order a shorter one?

C) the REAL problem lies not neccesarily with the new forestay, since in my opinion, the mast isn't raked that far back for a H14. It lies with the wear of the stops. They are now at a 45 degrees to each other. I can file the ones on the boat straight again, but their isn't much metal on the mast to file straight again.

The easiest solution seems to be a new, shorter forestay, or a mast rotation control arm, which I no nothing about. Can someone please inform me of how to install one and where to get one, since the one in the hobie catalog comes in the powerpack.

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Bump

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Shut up, your H14 is #4303? :shock: My H16 is sail #3403! :shock:

If you think the mast step has worn down a bit then you could have somebody with a MIG welder add material in the appropriate location; that'd last youf or uite a while I think. Also you should get new shrouds also to match the new forestay, then they'll be balanced. That'd be my recommendation to start. :)

Jim

Post subject: Step
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:01 am 
Site Admin

How about a new step and a new mast base. The new ones have thicker and higher stops.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

;) That'd work too. LOL I'm always thinking of the "do it yourself solution." :lol:

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thats an intersesting coincidence Jamie! Still, my boats prbly the oldest, hardest sailed boat in the 14 section! Raced, sold to former owner, who sailed it HARD in the chesapeake, average 20kts and 3-4 foot waves (its not the ocean, but it was sailed at least 25 times a season in high winds, in bigger waves than many of you sail in, and for the past 20 years). That was before the dolphin striker I put on two years ago.

Anyway, how many hobies have mast steps/bases with stops at 50 DEGREE angles to each other? Not the other 4 on my beach! And, I have COMPLETELY BRAND NEW RIGGING. If I didn't, I wouldn't be able to put all the rigging on one shackle, because the old rigging had smaller ends that won't fit over large shackles.

I have access to more tools than many of you, including a welding torch. Basically, if it is possible, it can be done DIY! The only thing is, the person who knows how what he is really doing (aka dad) hasn't seen the situation yet, but I have explained it to him.

Still, Matt, you haven't answered my questions:

1)Why is the new forestay 1" longer? I have no ability to pull the mast further forward, and I think it needs it (like one hole).

2)What is the deal with the control arm? A fuzzy 1/2"x1/2" picture doesn't exactly show much!

3) Replacing the base and step is diffentaly one of the options! But, if the mast is scraping the metal on the REAR of the step, I think my mast is raked too far back!

Thanks to all in advance!

Sam

Post subject: Forestay
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:34 am 
Site Admin

1 1/4 inches longer than... what? I don't have my spec sheet here at home, so maybe Monday I can give you the current length. We have not changed the 14 length in years. Murrays makes their own wires too, so it could be them, but they are pretty good usually. How old is the boat / step / wire you had? Pre 82 boats had steps that were not raked nearly as far aft as after that. Forestays were also shorter.

The rotater parts can be found in the H18 parts guide. You need a shorter bolt though.

Can you at least file the stops on the step casting vertical again? That would likely help a ton. By the way... 14 rigs are usually loose too. We used to rig so the shroud could be grasped and turned 90 degrees. That would allo max rake upwind and more forward downwind.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Its approximatly 1 1/4" longer than the orginal forestay I have; it is one of two that I have that are identical; therefore, they must have been made previous to 82, I assume.

My boat is an early 70's, since the boats serial number is on the pylons, and not the hulls. All the metal (EVERYTHING) is orginal, with the exception of practically all rivets on the boat itself (not the mast or boom), which have been replaced with stainless or monel rivets, or with stainless bolts, two years ago. That means the mast step is aprox. 10 years older than the 82 figure you said.

I assume that the new ones will fit on the boat (since I don't know of any changes made to the dimensions of the forward crossbar).

According to the rigging guide I used, which was found at thebeachcats.com and written by Bob Curry (A former world champion, you prbly know that matt, filling everyone else in), he suggests 45 degrees on the slack side stay for trapping and 120 when not, as a base (obviously, this differs between wind/water conditions, I have a copy of the 80's Hobie Cat Sailing 300 page book with 100 pages devoted to race tuning the 14, 16 and 18).

I also understand that Murrays makes each wire on the spot. Maybe their rigging maker was having a bad day and cut the wire 1" to long, but I doubt it. I also feel that the rake is pretty good as it is right now, but the forestay could prbly go forward one hole on the adjuster (which I don't have since its at the bottom right now), to facitilitate taking and general downwind sailing (I don't have a mast raker line rigged).

Anyway, sounds like the best solution is to install a new mast base or at least a new step (both would be best I guess). Temporarily filing the mast step sounds like a good plan as well....

Sam