Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: need price advice!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've found a 1978 standard 14, and need some advice on what would be a decent price. It's a former race boat that's been parked under a tree for about 10 years. The hulls aren't soft, but the tops are really ugly...very chalky and look to have mold-like dark spots all along the tops. The sides and bottoms of the hulls look pretty good and are solid with very little beach wear. It does have a dolphin striker.

The standing rigging was not attached, and is in storage so it wasn't available to inspect. There are two sails: a nice crispy all-white racing sail with a fwe minor stains and another white one that is pretty blown out, but undamaged. Both are 5-batten and have complete sets of battens. The running rigging also wasn't available for inspection, but the owner seems to think she has two sets of Harken blocks for it.

The tramp was removed and stored inside and is stiff, in fair shape with the hiking straps still attached. Rudders were off boat and stored inside, and appear to be in good shape. Trailer is galvanized with two flat tires and is buried in old leaves up to the axle. Everything visible was in good shape with minor rust in a few spots.

What should I offer? What's the MOST I should pay?

Thanks!
RB

Post subject: My first hobie...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I shall describe the Hobie 14 that I purchased a few years ago, and you can decide from there:

1983 Hobie 14
6 Batten Main - crisp, stored inside
Dolphin Striker + Single trap setup (former turbo, but his ex-wife sold the turbo rigging and jib)
Hulls - No soft spots, tops = chalky white, no repairs, bottoms in need of 2 layers of glass+epoxy
Mast - straight, all aluminum
Rudders - perfect shape + cams fully functioning
Sailing history - owned for 14 years, sailed maybe 5 times per summer but sat for the past 6 years
Galvanized trailer - new wiring and new rims/tires
Cat trax - Old V tread style wheels

He wanted $650 and took $350. Now that I have done the bottom job, replaced all of the standing rigging, blocks, and the tramp, I would estimate that she is worth between $850 and $1000. Make a low offer if you see yourself adding a few hundred in upgrades. The 14s seem to max out in price (ebay) at around $1200 with a 6 batten main and fully restored.

Post subject: Price
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Don't forget the real estate rule. Location, location, location.
Do you have another to choose from? I've been looking for a few months for a 14 or 16 in northern Illinois. Everything has been hundreds of miles away. Last night I came across one twenty miles away. A 1984 14 turbo. The asking price was $1100 with trailer. NADA has it at $790 without the trailer. I got it for $900. I feel good about the price. If you can get it for less, good for you. But do you want to risk not sailing for a few bucks. Look yours up on the NADA web site.
This is my first sail boat. Now I have to figure out how to rig the thing let alone sail it.

Post subject: Re: Price
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I just bought a hobie 14 Turbo with a trailer for $250. The hulls and tramp are in great condition, but the main sail needs a new bolt rope sewn in. The trailer is also a bit ugly, and it needs to be re-wired.

Truth is treason in the empire of lies.

Campaign for Liberty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks like it's gonna be $350. Fair price I'd say. I'm pretty sure I can get that back out of it if I sell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Picked her up today! :D The running rigging was found...like-new Harken 5:1 set-up. Also, the hulls aren't as bad as I thought at first. A quick scrub with some Orange Glo and they are squeaky clean. Only bad thing I can find is the very slightest beginning of some delamination in the back of the starboard hull. I found out that one of the sails is new other than being used in one regatta. The other is in better shape than I thought it would be. Also included were MANY small parts, extra rudders, new tramp wires, and several boxes and milk crates I haven't even looked in yet. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

8)