Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was mowing one day this fall and caught a bit of the main halyard (the metal line) in my mower. It tore it up quite a bit and am wondering if I should just buy some nice line or if I should replace it with another metal halyard.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think it´s better to replace an original main halyard, because the stainless steel line doesn´t stretch.
Even when you use a dyneema line ( not cheap!!), you have to accept 2 - 3% stretch.
This is bad for the fine tuning of the mainsail.

Have a nice day!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the input Catsailor! I figured as much but don't know much about it myself. I've had the cat for 4 or 5 years but only got it in the water 4 or 5 times each summer. I looked though the hobie parts catalog and had a hard time finding one there's so many lines mentioned. I'll find it eventually.
Again, Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:53 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

You need to be able to latch the halyard at the top of the mast, so you absolutely need the last foot or so of the halyard to be wire - just like the Comptip halyards.

Otherwise, the rest of it can be made of anything as long as the transition from line to wire is smooth enough to run over the sheave at the top of the mast.

Stretch really isn't an issue, since the load is only carried by that last foot of halyard.

Cleating the halyard off without latching it at the top is a sure recipe for ripping the cleat off the mast.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought an (extremely) old Hobie 14 (S/N 435). It does not have a cable halyard, just a rope the whole way. I appreciate your post about this endangering the cleat on the mast. I don't want to put much money in it since I expect it to sink any day (no particular reason, just because it is so old). I have some cable of approximately the right diameter. Any ideas how to create something to latch onto the catch at the top of the mast? Would just a knot in the cable do the trick? The stuff I have is pretty flexible. Also any thoughts on how to make a smooth cable to rope transition. As you can probably tell from my poor use of nautical terms I am a complete novice.