Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So, we all know that 16 sails won't "fit" on a 14, but has anyone ever had a set of 16 sails cut down to be usaable on a 14? Why would you or I do such a thing? Well, because I can find used 16 sails but no 14s and I don't want to spend over a grand on new sails. By the way, are there other sail makers who commonly make sails for the 14 besides Hobie (for a lower price)? Thanks, DM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

supersailmakers in Ft. Lauderdale. Tons of 14 sails. Just not class legal so racing points regattas probably won't work, but check them out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've had two 16 sails that were cut down to fit a 14 and they worked, but I just wasn't happy with them. First, you cut pretty much the whole bottom section off of the 16 sail, which basically takes all the shape out of the sail. It makes the sail completely flat. If you just do that, the sail won't fit on a 14 boom, so you need the 16 boom and then it sticks out a few inches in the back. You would want to cut a little bit of the foot off to make it fit a 14 boom. If you use the 16 boom, you would have to move the block hangers because they are way too far back.

I wouldn't cut it down. You would ruin a perfectly good 16 sail that you could sell and you would have almost no resail value to the altered sail.