Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Storm Trouble
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has any one ever gotten stuck in a storm?

Post subject: Storm
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a good storm story. We were sitting on my dock, sunning and sipping whatever, because the wind was DEAD. Our boats were sitting on the beach set up (nothing cleated) less than a block away. No kidding, dead wind. You could hear a pin drop on the otherside of the lake. We noticed some dark clouds coming over the bluff to the south, and saw a small ripple on the water. SMALL RIPPLE. My son and I looked at each other and decided we should tear the boats down. Remember, they are a block away, maybe 200 yards down the street at the 'hobie beach'.
We headed up to the house to get the car, and the temp dropped right then about 10 degrees. We started running for the car. By the time we got to the beach, maybe 2.5 minutes later, we were just in time to watch my newer 16 lift off the beach and cartwheel backwards into the marsh. We probably still wouldn't have the boat if the mast and my new Playa Del Sol sail didn't end up 4 feet into the mud. The other boat, we jumped on the front hulls to hold her down while my daughter dropped the main. In the minute this took, the jib SHREDDED into a million pieces.
This came out of nowhere, on a bright and sunny day. The wind kicked up to 60mph for about 10 minutes. We thought it was a tornado, because the hail and really cold rain was with it. It was an hour before we got the other boat out of the mud and back on the beach. Another hour at the carwash trying to save my beautiful main.
That was a storm. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am 15 years and 120 lbs. i live 4 blocks from lake michigan in illinois. i have a 14 standard and one boring day of sailing i was heading out on my own and all of a sudden it got colder and wind picked up. then it rained hard and i was about half a mile out and i could see my dad putting his wet suit on because he was coming out to get me. there were about 4 foot waves so i could not manage to tack and head back to shore. i decided that i would get my legs in the water to try and swim the boat in a circle to head back. it was the strangest feeling. i could not turn the boat it took me about 8 tries until i finally got it. That was when i was 13 and no more than 105 lbs. i had finnaly got it and then came in. i was scared while on the boat because fog came in and i could barely see the shore but i had followed the waves back to shore and came right on target. What an experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Three of my friends and I managed to get caught in a squall on the Chesapeake on my 16- gusty shifty winds too fast to sail. I deliberately turtled the boat and we waited it out. We saved the cooler and were already wet anyway! :) Dave