Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

:D

Since it is the first sail I have ever attempted, I made it out of nylon. It's only $6 a yard, so the sail cost about $70 to make, including thread, eyelets, and rope. I sewed it all myself (mom taught me in about 10 minutes), so I saved some money there... but not time.

My next attempt will be dacron. :wink:

I researched as much as possible, but some things I could not find. For instance, do I need to add a draft curve to every panel, or just the bottom of the sail? I made mine just at the bottom, but the sail seemed very flat. Tightening up the battens didn't help much.

Yes, it stretches just a bit, but out on the lake today I was passing an 18 easily, so I must have done something right.

Questions, comments?

-Dave

Truth is treason in the empire of lies.

Campaign for Liberty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I think thats pretty sweet that you were able to make your own sail. Great way to save money. Keep everyone posted with how it preforms in the future and how long it lasts without ripping

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

wakeboardin2k4 wrote:
I think thats pretty sweet that you were able to make your own sail. Great way to save money. Keep everyone posted with how it preforms in the future and how long it lasts without ripping

I reinforced it quite a bit, so I don't think it will rip anytime soon, unless I snag it on something. I do think it will stretch quite a bit though. I already had to tighten it up along the leech, as you can see in the pictures. This gave it some more shape too, but mabye a little too much. Last night I removed the adjustments I made and sewed in 5 smaller ones. I will try to take some more pictures after work if it's not raining too hard.

Campaign for Liberty

Post subject: well done....
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

really well done mate...
please can u post the measures of the sail that u have built ?
thanx a lot
max

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have seen a lot of things and done a lot of things but this is first really honest to god home-made sail I have seen. Man- that's a lot of roach, you should be COOKING, especially off the wind...

Nice design and nice work. Congratulations. We can't wait to see how it holds up 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hey dude that looks really awesome, i like the shape of the back, would u mind like making a slidehow or something, a picture by picture, when u make ur next sail because that looks pretty awesome.
how long did it take to make?

hobie 16 with SUPER TURBO SAIL

Post subject: Re: well done....
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

italianhobie wrote:
really well done mate...
please can u post the measures of the sail that u have built ?
thanx a lot
max

Luff: 19'7"
Leech: 20'
Foot: 93"

The flat top is about 3'.

Campaign for Liberty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

widerisbetter wrote:
I have seen a lot of things and done a lot of things but this is first really honest to god home-made sail I have seen. Man- that's a lot of roach, you should be COOKING, especially off the wind...

Nice design and nice work. Congratulations. We can't wait to see how it holds up 8)

It's pretty nice, except it stretches when the wind picks up, creating too much shape.

Campaign for Liberty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

sail_in_the_fog wrote:
hey dude that looks really awesome, i like the shape of the back, would u mind like making a slidehow or something, a picture by picture, when u make ur next sail because that looks pretty awesome.
how long did it take to make?

It took me about a week of working after work to make. I will take pictures of every step of my next sail project... this time with dacron. :)

Campaign for Liberty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So, it stretched a bit too much- interesting. What kind of nylon did you use? Like rip-stop chute nylon or sil ? Besides Dacron, how about other low-stretch sail materials?

Here's an totally goofy idea: How about an entire sail made of the clear material that sail windows are made of? :shock:

Ok - that's really dumb, but imagine how cool it would look 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nylon is very strechy. That's why you don't use Nylon line for your running rigging.

Didn't windsurfer sails use the clear stuff for sails back in the 80's?

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject: Clear Windsurfer sails
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think you're right Nick. I know that the main we use for racing a Catalina 30 has some high-mod, low-stretch, radial cut sail that is almost completely clear - like those windsurfers. The stuff is great for racing, but it needs to be replaced already after only 4 years of use. EXPENSIVE!!! The original dacron main from '79 is still used for cruising (or when we want to give the other club members a chance at catching up with us :twisted: ) The captain has had some company re-furbish the dacron so that it is like new too (laundry and extra starch? :roll: ) but the hi-tech sail is just plain shot. You might be able to make sail-bags out of it.

or smaller sails....hmmm 8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

widerisbetter wrote:
So, it stretched a bit too much- interesting. What kind of nylon did you use? Like rip-stop chute nylon or sil ? Besides Dacron, how about other low-stretch sail materials?

I used a 4oz? ripstop. It didn't seem to ctretch much until it was on the boat.

Quote:
Here's an totally goofy idea: How about an entire sail made of the clear material that sail windows are made of? :shock:

Ok - that's really dumb, but imagine how cool it would look 8)

There is a clear mylar sail that I have access to. It seems like it might fit a 14 with some trimming. Since they are about an hour from my house, I may go check it out and even buy one.

Campaign for Liberty

Last edited by ozglxvr6 on Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

widerisbetter wrote:

or smaller sails....hmmm 8)

Starsky wrote:
Do it. Do it. Do it.

Campaign for Liberty

Post subject: Wow THOSE are nice
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks to me like they are going for almost the cost of the mylar alone. North Sails are good loft too. My brother in law used to work there I think. He made a beautiful set of radial cut mylar sails for his H16 (my former boat) as his apprentice project. It made the 16 look like a 17 from a distance. 8)

These would have to be modified though - the luff is 22'5" and the foot is 84" compared to the H14 luff of 19'7" and foot of 93" (according to Dave's original formula)

The leech is less of a factor I think. Could you possibly take about 3' off the top of one of these mylars and build a square-headed main? I don't think you'd want to take if off the foot since that is already about 9" short.

Ideas Ideas - and I'll ask my buddy what he intends to do with the old racing main. Maybe we can scarf it up for more Frankenboat experiments... :lol: