Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rudder question
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have almost completed the refurbishment of an Ebay Hobie 14. On vacation I sailed a Hobie Wave but know nobody who has a Hobie of any description.

I have dry rigged it at home and know everything fits.

When the rudders are lowered, how do you lock them in position ? Should they latch automatically or is there a procedure ?

How should they unlatch ?

Are the plastic latches easy to remove or do you risk breaking the castings when you drive the pins out ?

When they are in the raised position should they latch up positively or do they just rest this way. I don't suppose the Cat can be trailered with the rudders raised ?

Anybody in Fort Myers FL on this Forum ?

Thanks in advance.

Terrence.

:?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congrats on you rnew purchase! Welcome to the club.

You should take a look at the literature in the support section of this website. Look at the H14 literature and at teh rudder literature to get an idea of how everything works. Plus, read through the forums. You will find answers to almost everything.

I will try to give a quick answer to your questions:

1) you lock the rudders down by pushing down on the tillers after the blades have rotated to the full down position.

2) They will unlatch when they run into the ground or something pulls them up from the bottom of the blade. This is true if your rudder mechanisms are working properly and your rudder kick up tension is set correctly. Lost of info on this in the literture on this site.

3) The plastic cams (latches) are easy to remove. You should drill the existing pins out and replace them with the new rudder cam kit in the Hobie catalog. This is one of those purchases it is better to make before you need to. I replace mine and keep the old cams as a spare. The pin is replaced by a pair of screws that come off fairly easily. This "upgrade" can mean a small inconvinience (sp?) while replaceing the cam, or the end of you sailing day.

5) I traielr my cat with the rudders up and latched. They will fall into the correct position if you lift them high enough. I do tie or bungie them to the hulls to keep the from swinging or falling down while trailering.

I hope this helps and I am sure there are others in this forum who have more/better advice than me.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the information.

I have found the Forum Notes now and think I shall replace the rudder latches on principle. They must be cheap enough.

Terrence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think they are about $25 in the Hobie catalog. There are very few things I say are "required" to do to an older boat as long as it is in working order. This is one of those. It just makes good sense.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've always left my rudders on the boat when trailering for short distances. Use bungees to tie the tiller bar to the rear crossbar at each end, otherwise they will flop from side-to-side and will bounce around and fall off the catch that holds them up...then you have to buy new rudders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ukexpat, I had the same problems with my hobie 14. They should lock. down and de-latch easily. The replacement of my cams required about 45 minutes of time for labor and then 20 minutes second guessing ourselves because we didnt know how to work the cams correctly. Once you change them it is a WORLD of difference in how the boat preforms. Good luck with your new boat