Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey all,
I've had my H14 for the summer, but recently aquired a trailer. I'll be taking the boat out of the water next weekend, and driving it from the cape to VT, where I'll hopefully get at least one day on Lake Champlain before I put the ski rack on the car.

When taking the mast down, do you keep the stays attached to mast and tramp? Or do you disconnect everything and simply lay the mast on the boat and trailer.
I could see how it might be helpful to leave the side stays attached, and disconnect the front. That way you can raise the mast without too much trouble.

Any help is appreciated. Hope to see some fellow hobies up in VT, as I'm making the move up to Burlington in two weeks!

'7? Hobie 14

Post subject: Wires
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:59 am 
Site Admin

I keep as many wires attached as possible. Disconnect the forestay to drop the mast down. Lay the mast into the mast stand and rear crossbar. Pad the mast at the rear and tie down fore and aft.

Now... here is my trick. I take the wires on the port and double over, pass them through the rear lace from outboard towards center. Tuck under (weave through) two or three laces. Grab the wires on the starboard side and do the same from the outboard in towards the center. On a 14 you would have a shroud on one side and the forestay and shroud on the other side. Both sets of wires meet at the center and, if needed (to remove slack), turn forward and tuck under a center lace. Where the wires double over, meeting at the center, tie a small line or hook a bungee to keep them from pulling out of the laces while traveling.

When you are ready to step the mast again... untie the keeper line or bungee and pull the wires out of the laces.

Simple and quick.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt's dead on. Keep as many lines as possible attached to the mast. Makes for a much quicker set up.

You'll see a few Hobies in Burlington. I have been making the trek up there from the North Shore of Boston for the past 4 years. My freind and I take both our boats up for 7 - 10 days of camping at North Beach. We try to incorporate the food festival weekend into our trip. It's usually at the end of June. This year I moved to Annapolis, MD so we will only have one boat up there in '06. It's a great place to sail.

The best place we have found to launch is at the coast guard station next to the big park on the water. Lots of room to step the mast and the ramp is protected from the waves. Enough wind is there to make it out of the breakwater even on light air days.

Mayeb we'll see you up there in '06

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO