Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was out on Saturday, 4-5 foot waves, gusting 20, trapped out, skimming a hull (fast as heck, of course). Real wet (since it was raining, plus the waves). Go for a jibe (no way anyone is taking a stock H14 in those sea's), and the traveler literally rips out of the track; now, before, it wasn't sliding normally and I saw some metal shavings (i.e, ball bearings). They looked the same as the pile now in there. The rest of the car is fine, and I got in fine (just pulled the traveler line in real tight), so I assume I just need the lower bearings (roller unit, $43).

Now, how do you remove the hinge pin and install the new one, and then how do you install it into the track? I saw that you have to derivet three rivets to get it in the track, correct?

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If it's like on the H16 yes, you drill out the rivets on one side of the track and then you can bend it up ever so slightly and silde the car out. Then you slide the new / fixed car in and re-rivet it down. Be sure to use countersunk rivets. :o

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:36 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Jim's right about replacing the lower roller unit. But you can get away with only removing one rivet on the 14. Once the rivet is out, use a screwdriver between the track and the crossbar to gently bend the track up and slide the old car out / new car in.

Make sure to clean all the little bits of the old car out.

Replacing the hinge pin is easy - use a screwdriver to gently open up the ends of the upper part of the traveller car where they are crimped over the pin. Then using a hammer and the screwdriver, drive the pin in towards one side. It will stick out of the other side enough to get a pair of pliers on it - just grab it and pull it out. Reverse the process with the pin on the new lower unit.

New travellers can be stiff in the track until they break-in. Use lots of lube (silicone, SailCote, etc) until it's working smoothly.