Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: tacking with fresh winds
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

when sailing with my hc14 (no turbo, i only have the mainsheet) in light winds everything is ok, i have no particular difficulties in tacking. But things are different when i try tacking with fresh or moderate winds (i still have to sail with strong winds!), everytime the boat stops head to wind! Shouldn't it to be the opposite, i though that with moderate winds it would be easier to turn...

Post subject: Tacking a 14
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:33 am 
Site Admin

Keep up the boat speed into the tack. Sheet harder as you come closer to head to wind, then release the sheets and force the sheets out by several feet, otherwise the boat weather vanes into the wind. Steer lightly when starting the tack and then hard over as the boat slows. Look for a swell or chop to "bank" off of. You want to bump a swell as the boat just goes past head to wind if possible. That can help push the bows around. Keep your weight well aft and hiking right through the tack until the sails nearly backwind before trying to cross over. Keep the steering consistant. Try to keep the helm over even when switching sides. If you stall, reverse the rudders as the boat begins to back up and be sure the sheets are well out. Allow the boat to come well onto the new tack before beginning to sheet again... sheet in slowly at first to get some boat speed and steerage, then sheet harder and head up onto the new tack.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)