Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm a $50 Hobie Newbie
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey all, thank god for the internet. I'm here in northern California and am new to sailing all together. I've got to know if I should I have passed this up purchase I just made? I picked up (what I believe to be) a 1982 hobie cat 14 for $50.00 with trailer. It seems to be solid. I inspected the hulls and there are no soft spots that I could find. However, it is missing the sail (well I don't anything about these things it could be missing a lot more for all I know). Like I said I only paid $50.00 for it and was wondering if I got in over my head considering I never sailed before. I will post some pics later on and would really appreciate any feedback. I will have to admit even though I never sailed I am pretty exited to learn. Thanks,RCP916. :?: :?: :?: :? :?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well safe to say you really want to replace the standing rigging and see if the mast is straight, once thats done get some sails and you will be maybe 300 dollars in

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yeah it didn't come with any standing rigging but the mast is straight as an arrow.Tell you the truth I don't even know what standing rigging is but I am going to assume it is the harness you use to stand up and keep you tethered to the boat?When I came across this deal yesterday I couldn't pass this up, I have been into flying power kites for a couple years now and I love and respect the power of wind so when I was faced with the opportunity to get into one of these Hobie's for so cheap I couldn't pass it up.I have been reading non stop on this forum for information and have to say I am a little discouraged about the fact that these 14's are so weight sensitive considering I weigh-in at 190lbs. and have a wife and 4 year old daughter that are both into active sports. I hope to use this Hobie as a spring board into another bigger boat and at this price I aim to keep it for a long time assuming I can figure out the sailing part.Thanks for any information or encouragement you guys/gals can offer me. :D "rcp916" :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check your boat against the assembly manual https://www.hobiecat.com/sailing/part_manuals.html
Learn sailing basics by down loading Hobue U http://www.hobieclass.com/default.asp?Page=1686
Buy parts from a Hobie dealer or Murray's http://www.murrays.com/
Good luck and happy sailing :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Let me know if you need a sail! I have an almost new one for you, $500

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A new white 5oz dacron main sail at Whirlwind is $600.00.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You got a good deal from the sounds of it. Even you didn't want to spend the money for the missing parts, you could sell what you have and make a really good profit. ie. someone could but the Mast from you for $500.00