Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

HI-

I am looking at purchasing a used H-14 mostly for recreational purposes. I weigh about 195 and after reading other comments from people on the site I am worried I am too heavy for this boat. Combine the fact that I would like to bring my girlfriend with every now and then (she weighs 130) I'm nervous this wouldn't be a big enough boat. I would like to be able to use a trapeze (I think that is what it's called) on it when I am solo sailing. Is this a bad choice for me or should I hold out for a 16 or a 17? The only thing I am thinking is I can get this boat for an excellent price. On top of that I am not exactly a pro at sailing so I figured this would be a good place to start as I've only sailed with Lasers and Sunfish my whole life. Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

Post subject: H-14 and weight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Tamarak,
I weigh 180 lbs and I usually sail with my daughters who weigh 90 lbs and 80lbs. That is 350 lbs with no problems. The boat sails fine. It sails a bit slower than when I am soloing but still fun as we average 15mph to 20mph winds down here. The 14 has a 500 lb capacity limit. If you are not racing it will do fine. I have owned a 16 as well as a 14 and the 14 keeps up with the 16s that I sail with. I like the fact that it is light, easy to unload, and quick to set up. If you are planning to take adult friends out down the road, then you may want a 16, as they have an 800 lb capacity limit.

Good Luck,
Danny
http://pirates.dwebz.net

Post subject: Go with another boat
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tamarak:

I had a 14 and at 190 and even with the jib, you will not be happy. If you race you will get tanked. And if not you will still be REAL slow !!! I would go with a 17 or a Getaway. I love my 17. I can race alone or with 12 grand daughter. I take three adults and her out all the time and still move, even it light air. They can be found cheap too. I just have previous experience with both boats and I think you are to heavy for it, especially if you take girl friend out a lot. There are a lot of different boats out there. Try some and see which one you like.

Doug Snell
Hobie 17
Sunfish
Soon to be Mystere 4.3
www.tcdyc.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would suggest looking for an H16. I was a little heavier than you when I bought my H16 and routinely wanted to take out other adults in the 100 to 140 lb range. I found the H14 I sailed on (not my boat) to be a little to cramped and not fast enough for me when I had crew on board.

The 16 is a solid boat that can be found for a very good price. It is great both solo and wiht passengers. You can also dual trap on it if your girlfriend wants to join you. The 16 is not that much harder to rig or to move around on your own. I used to drag mine all over the beach solo. I also set it up and launched it solo.

That's my opinion.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'd go with the 16- the 14 gets awful heavy and slow with 2 people on it (unless they're kids) I've got both a 16 and a 14t- I keep the 16 rigged and ready, and use the 14 mostly to sail solo when there's just too much wind to handle the 16 by myself ( I'm 165-170 lbs) A 178 might also be worth a look. Dave