Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the advice, I'll try it as soon as I get the boat back on the water. I have GOT TO PRACTICE alot before Sept, when the North American are here on my home lake. I would hate to get dead last at home. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Doug's mainsheet trick is a virtual must! Another startegy I have is practice with two people on the boat. It is more difficult to tack (but can be easier if you know where to put your bodies) in general because of the weight, so it makes it a lot easier when you go solo. Also, if you have flat water it HELPS!

I don't know if you are still looking for a host site in 2007...right now my small boat club is working on purchasing and developing a new site in southern maryland that has the potential to become one of the best sailing sites on the east coast..the sailing is by far the best out of the many places I have sailed on the east coast. It has direct access to two rivers..the potomac and the St. Mary's. It can be blowing 25+ and you will only see 1ft chop! Right now their is a serious lack of facilities, but that will hopefully have changed by next year!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Where would you attach a boom vang.

Post subject: Tacking
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I do the same as Doug, but I reach up and grab the sail and manually pull it accross and hold it there until the boat makes it's tack. I also back wind the jib. Holding and pushing the sail accross as the boat is pointing directly into the wind, helps the boat through the tack (most of the time) LOL!

Danny
http://pirates.dwebz.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:30 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

H14Turbo wrote:
Where would you attach a boom vang.

There's a tang on the bottom of the boom - attach one end there. The other end can be attached to the base of the mast. You can install a bail there like the one that's on the boom for the mainsheet:

Or you can put a hook on that end and hook it into the trampoline slot on the end of the front crossbar.

I use a "vang" made of shock cord - it's really a preventer - to hold the main out in light air:
(it's the blue line running almost vertically down from the boom tang)

When not in use, it's stored along the boom, hooked to a loop of line tied to the gooseneck:
(it's along the bottom of the boom)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a vang that attatches to the thingy on the boom too, but I attatch the other end to an eyestrap at the bottom of the mast. I just let it go slack when going to wind.
Matt- I think I am making a mistake using 6:1 blocks, it just doesn't let out as fast as I would like. I am going back to the 4:1s for a while to see if I like it better. What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:59 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

I just use the same system that's on my 16.

Use 5/16 line - runs through the blocks much better, but it's tough on the hands.

Get one of the high tech lines like Maffioli Swiftcord, Sampson Apex or New England Ropes Salsa - they're better on your hands, but cost some $.

Hint - go to Annapolis Performance Sailing or Layline - they often have spool ends or returns cheap. You only need about 37'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Also good advice, thanks.
It just lets out soooo slow and I was watching Sheila Holmes come around A and her boom just went ZING and was out. I want that to happen. That will give me one less excuseas to why I stink so bad on my 14.

Post subject: Small line
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just get some small sheet. I have 7 to 1 on my Hobie 17 and it worked great when I went to small sheet. Also leave the rachet off.

Doug