Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Prospective Buyer - H14T
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello All,

I an Aussie and I am currently in the market for my first H14T so I am new to these forums :)

I dont have a lot of experience with Cats - I have owned a Laser 2 monohull for about 7 years and am myself a competent sailor. My father also owns two 50 foot yachts and I have been around boats/watching him sail for my entire 28 years. I have recently been introduced to Hobies through a mate who bought a H14 (non-turbo). Find them much easier to sail (especially solo) than the Laser 2 and thought I'd follow his example.

A boat has come up that I am very interested in, the link is to the Australian Boatsales website and I was hoping that a few of you Savvy Cat owners might be able to take a look for me:-

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-s ... R=12405266

I have a couple of questions and would appreciate any feedback you guys could offer about the boat:-

1. The mainsail appears to only have 5 battens (unless I'm mistaken) whereas in the photos you guys have kindly posted, all other H14's I've seen have 6? Would this be a second hand sail off another boat?

2. The jib seems strangly wrinkled... I cant really tell from the photos but I am led to believe that most H14T's have a self furling jib (possible wrinkle source?) which doesnt appear on this boat?

3. In addition, I see a lot of Hobies with battens in the jib - I presume this one doesnt have them because it is/was at one stage, a self furler? Are there any issues with not having said battens?

From what I can see the boat has been well used, but does not appear to have any major damage. I would appreciate any comments that experienced people such as yourselves could point out about the boat, as I am planning to do an inspection this week and having some pre-prepared points to look for would certainly help with deciding and bargaining on price.

Thanks in advance! :)