Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm "modernizing" my H14 and want to include the lastest, greatest mast step, but am not sure which one I need. The point is to accomodate the more extreme mast rake and loose rig that is currently the hot racing set up. I read on this forum somewhere that I need to mount the H16 mast step. The diagram on the Mariner Sails site, on the H16 page, shows a part number HC20200011 that is labled "H16/14 Mast Step". I assume it is drilled for a dolphin striker post. However, when I look at the H14 page, the diagram shows a part labeled "H14 Mast Step-Undrilled", part number HC10170011. My old 1982 model has the aftermarked dolphin striker with the post riveted to the front crossbar and the steel cable running through it from side to side, so my crossbar isn't drilled for a post, thus I don't need a drilled mast step. So here's my questions: 1) Are the current Hobie mast steps better suited for greater mast rake that the standard one on my '82 boat? 2) If so, is there a difference between the two current offerings other that one being drilled? 3) I don't plan to drill holes in my crossbar to accomodate the H16 style dolphin striker. If the drilled step, part number HC20200011 offers a better set-up, what effect does having an unused hole in the bottom of the mast step have on the teflon bearing or the mast base? I'd appreciate any suggestions from active H14 racers.

Thanks

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:39 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

MVD wrote:
1) Are the current Hobie mast steps better suited for greater mast rake that the standard one on my '82 boat?
Yes.

MVD wrote:
2) If so, is there a difference between the two current offerings other that one being drilled?
I believe the undrilled 14 step is the original design, so it is not optimized for maximum mast rake.

MVD wrote:
3) I don't plan to drill holes in my crossbar to accomodate the H16 style dolphin striker. If the drilled step, part number HC20200011 offers a better set-up, what effect does having an unused hole in the bottom of the mast step have on the teflon bearing or the mast base? I'd appreciate any suggestions from active H14 racers.
You don't want to use it without filling the hole. A plug made from a cut off bolt would work well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks, Matt.

I was concerned that would be the answer, but I wanted to check in with the Guru before I bought the most expensive part.

I'm trying to make the old boat competitive for Delaware, although I'm not sure if I'll be able to attend. We're moving to Knoxville, TN, at the end of August, so I'll be that much closer. The spouse hasn't weighed in yet. If I don't get to Delaware, at least I hope to make the old boat more competitive for Portsmouth events at the local club.

MVD

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28