Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pitched
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, I have been going out every day and have been getting braver and braver every time. I think I reached the limit. Today with winds 15-20mph I was out on the lake and managed my first pitchpoll. Stupid mistake caused it but I must say that it was a wild ride.

I have a nice bruise on my leg where I caught a shroud. Other than that everything was fine and I was able to right the boat in a few seconds and be back on my way.

Post subject: Re: Pitched
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

gree2056 wrote:
Well, I have been going out every day and have been getting braver and braver every time. I think I reached the limit. Today with winds 15-20mph I was out on the lake and managed my first pitchpoll. Stupid mistake caused it but I must say that it was a wild ride.

I have a nice bruise on my leg where I caught a shroud. Other than that everything was fine and I was able to right the boat in a few seconds and be back on my way.

Welcome to the wonderfull world of the Hobie 14. I've been sailing mine on and off for 25 years or so. I only know one way to crash it, PITCHPOLE!!!!!!!!! I finally decided to put a pair of Anti-Dive planes on it and they work great, well worth it. (Mine however aren't the ones Hobie sells, I made my own, simple aluminum plates mounted through the hull lip on standoffs).

Post subject: Not sure
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think I will go without for now, but if it becomes a problem I might have to buy or build some, I have some experience working with fiberglass and I can weld so I should be able to manage something.

But until then I will just be careful. Like I said it was a mistake that caused it. I just turned downwind while one hull was starting to lift out of the water. I knew what was going to happen when I say the bad of the mast touch water. Yeah I was going fast when it happened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

hey ryan mchale, do you happenn to have plans or an approximate sketch of your anti-pitchpole hydrofoils. how angled are they? i would love to have something to start with, since u say they work great. thanks.
my email is [email protected]