Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hello to all,
I just got off the water from another great day of sailing. We had a front moving in and the wind was really blowing. I think we spent half the day with one hull out of the water. In general it was a great day until....

We loaded the boat at the ramp because there are very few beachs that are not surrounded by forest. Needless to say it is not the best way, having to step the mast down at a beach and swim/walk the boat about 100 yards to the ramp, but we are desperate to sail so we do it. Now back to the story, as we pulled up the ramp a Highway patrol officer with a giant pair of sunglasses and an even bigger ego stopped us. I think it was the fact that we were college kids but he instantly treated us like we were the scum on the bottom of his shoe. No HI or anything just "do you have that boat registered?" I do not because as far as I know it does not have to be since it is under 14 feet. He quickly told me that I was wrong and that he was going to write me a ticket. Desperate to get out of a ticket, I asked him if he could show me the law in the OHP boating law book, he stumbled for a second and debated for a moment. He proceeded to say that he would let me off with a warning but if he ever caught me out again without the boat registered he would go through with the ticket. In my mind I think I caught him not knowing the law.

Now to my question, I might have to register my boat and to do that I need to find the hull ###'s or something that will let me get it registered. If anyone could tell me where to look, I was told it was and 86 Hobie 14T, that would be great.

Thanks and hopefully I will get back in the water soon.

Post subject: Numbers
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Things are different in every State. I just bought a boat from Fla and they don't have to register under 14 foot, but in we do. You need t contact your Parks and Wildlife Dept or what ever they call it in OK. As for the hull numbers, they should be on the transom of your boat. They should be engraved there.

Doug Snell
Hobie 17
"Stress Free" #007