Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

At one point in time, when we had the old version of this form, somebody was offering to sell the parts neccesary to put a Hobie 16 Jib on a 14. I am doing some relativly major maintance on my boat this winter/weekend (new paint, will be adding trapeze and dolphin striker, repairing small holes in sails) and have access to a Hobie 16 in pretty sad shape, but it has all the jib control parts (which are in good shape) and possibly a jib. The forestay (lower) looks about brand new, which for this boat is 3 years old (how long it has been sitting outside, including the mainsail, I am not sure if the owner has the jib or not). The person that owns the boat doesn't care about the boat anymore, and I could probably pick up at least the jib parts for free or very cheaply, if not the whole boat. Anyway, I understand how to put the jib on the boat, by replacing the standard forestay with the 16 one. then you raise the jib on that. What I don't understand is what you do with the jib blocks. Do you take the whole jib track and blocks and rivet them onto the front crossbar of the 14? Or do you use standard hobie blocks (for the standard jib), which cost $98 dollars a piece + the support wire, which costs another $50, so your up to $250, which is why the standard jib kit costs so much (twice as much as the 16). Or do you take the blocks of the traveler track, feed them trough the jib grommets in the tramp and support those with a rope or wire? I need answers people!

Post subject: Turbo conversion
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sam,

I think I was the one who posted the conversion stuff. I have been making Turbos out of 16 rigging for a few years--I think you even saw one of the systems when you looked at my boat. Regardless, the 16 jib won't fit without a lot of cutting and re-swaging. All I really do is cut the 16 rigging down to fit the 14 and it works out very well. I have to use a 14 jib, though.

I'm working on documenting the conversion so I can publish it on thebeachcats.com.

If you are looking for a jib, contact me--I'm trying to put a big order together to get new jibs for $225-250!!!

Dan Berger