Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H14 Forestay question
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If I would like to sail my turbo as a una rig, could I just remove the short jib stay/swivel and run a factory forestay from the mast to the furler, or would I have to take the furler off as well and replace with a standard bridle?

Just ordered a forestay, looks like it should work...surely someone has tried this.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Simply replacing the forestay will not work. The bridle wires on the turbo are more than a foot shorter than the standard (uni-rig) bridles. If you run the standard forestay, you will have to change out the bridles.

Can't you just remove the turbo forestay from the jib luff sleeve and run it that way?

sm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:46 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

srm wrote:
Can't you just remove the turbo forestay from the jib luff sleeve and run it that way?

Not on the stock Turbo jib - the wire is sewn in like it is on the 16's jib.

An alternative would be to have a custom forestay made that's the same length as the jib luff wire. Any West Marine or other marine store could do it for you quickly.

A really quick and inexpensive solution would be to use small diameter dyneema/spectra line to replace the forestay. The stuff is very easy to splice, you just need to watch for chafe and make sure the splices are cross-stitched so they don't slip.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MBounds wrote:
Not on the stock Turbo jib - the wire is sewn in like it is on the 16's jib.

So couldn't he just drill out the shackle rivet that holds the forestay to the jib and then slide the wire out of the luff sleeve? Then it would just be a matter of replacing the shackle if he wanted to go back to using the jib. I don't have one of these in front of me to look at, but I can't imagine getting the wire out of the jib luff sleeve would be terribly difficult. If you do decide to take the wire out of the jib luff, one thing I would do would be to tie a cheap, thin piece of line to the forestay before you pull it out of the luff sleeve, that way when you decide to put the forestay back into the jib, you can just tie it back onto the line and pull it through the sleeve. Otherwise, I imagine it will be a major PITA trying to feed the forestay through the luff sleeve.

Another option would be to just stack a couple shroud adjusters together on top of the furler box to add the extra length needed for the standard forestay to reach. Not pretty, but it would get the job done.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How about leaving the head sail furled and tying a bit of small stuff through the clew plate and around the sail?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Why do you want to run it as a uni rig? I thought having the jib was a good upgrade? I just converted my 14 last summer. Am I missing something or are you just trying to simplify things?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I prefer the uni rig...just trying to simplify things. There are a few sailors in our local club that have been sailing 14's since the 70's and they sail the heck out of these things uni rigged...with a ton of mast rake.

It's nice to have the jib as an option, and I'm sure as my skill level increases I will want more sail sq ft...but I'm not racing, just having fun.

I'm going to run both rigs this year, just wanted to start the season with a uni rig like the 14 that my family sailed when I was a kid.