Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all,

New to the forum and admittedly not much of a sailor (yet)......

I've been looking for a boat and thought the 14 might be the trick. There is a local sale here and I have not looked at it yet but was wondering, did all turbos have the turbo decal?

I don't dee any in the photos and they look original with pin striping and Hobie 14 decal. Just want to be confident this isn't a "conversion" when I go look at her.

Cheers,

skydog

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Not all turbos had the decal, there are a few ways to tell if it is a factory TJ or a conversion (there are folks on here that know waaaaaaay more about this stuff than I do, y'all feel free to correct me!)

I believe the factory turbos had the H16 style dolphin striker, where the conversions had the triangular striker with the holes in it. If it is a well done conversion (should be super tight with zero play) I wouldn't worry about it. It all depends on who did the conversion.

Another way to tell is the age of the boat...the TJ was not offered until 1982. If it's a pre-82 boat, it's definitely not factory.

Having said that, I would be more concerned with the integrity of the hulls than anything else...several helpful threads RE: delamination on this forum...and bottom jobs. If the hulls are shot keep looking. You don't want to spend your first summer as a cat sailor working on your boat.

If possible, have the owner rig the boat for you...make sure it's a complete boat.

Be patient, this time of year boats for sale come out of the woodwork. I would buy the absolute best boat that you can afford to buy. A $1000 boat that's ready to sail today is a better deal than a $500 boat that needs a trampoline, main halyard, new rigging, trailer lights, etc.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have an '82 factory Turbo for sale. Boat is complete and everything is straight. PM me if interested. Mid Atlantic area. Most conversions use a heavy stainless steel cable for the dolphin striker. Factory Turbo has a solid rod.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Skydog: Your gonna love the H14 Turbo! Good choice! It's such a great boat to sail and I love mine!

Have a Hobie Day!

Sent from Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am selling or parting out a genuine H14 Turbo. 83. let me know what you might need. in NJ. whole boat is $800. no title or trailer.

Southern NJ