Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently purchased a 1991 Hobie 14 (sail # 52xxx) and am going in 2 weeks to pick it up from the original owner. He bought it new and used it occasionally on a small lake for 2-3 yrs then disassembled it and kept it in heated storage ever since. The pictures he sent show it to be in great shape. Are the later hulls made better than the early ones?
I have a 1979 Turbo 14 (sail # 34442) that I finally got to sail this past weekend after completely refurbishing over the past 9 months. It sails great and was a blast to sail. I had a Hobie 16 for 2 years back in the mid 90's that was a bit much to rig and sail for 1 person and have been sailing a mint older Sunfish ever since up to this weekend. The 14 seems to be a great boat for my situation. We do not have a beach to pull it up on (steel seawall) but my Turbo 14 came with a custom built aluminum stand that sits in the lake with 4 rollers for the boat to be pushed up onto to keep it elevated out of the waves.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The newer boat is likely a little better, mostly because it will have been sailed less, so it will be tighter and have more time before the hulls wear out. Also, the hull construction had been refined somewhat over the years, so it's probably a little lighter. Overall, if both boats are in good shape, you probably won't really notice much of a difference, but as a general rule, newer is always better.

sm