Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have not sailed Hobies since the mid 70's but once in the mid 80's. I just bought a 14T (missing jib though) for $200. Damn, I am lovin' it :D

Couple of questions:

How do I get out of irons? Seemed like pushing the boom and filling the sail to go backwards while turning the rudders (forget which way), I eventually got it going again each time but it was less than skilled. I would really like someone that knows exactly what to do to put it in writing so I know I am doing it right.

How is the traveller supposed to be set up? Is it really only supposed to pull to center? Seems like if there were pulleys on either side, it would help pull the main sheet system past centerline (although that may not be a good thing). Any comments welcome.

Is the extension arm supposed to be flipped all the way around to the other side of the main sheet system with each tack?

Is it impossible to come about w/o a jib? I got good at gibing it, but every attempt to come about resulted in irons.

That's it for now.

Matt A

Post subject: Techniques
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:30 am 
Site Admin

Irons? Yep. Back the boat down. Push the main out and reverse the rudders.

Traveler? The traveler is never higher than center and seems to be best if lower than that. A unirig (Main only) cat will sail better with the traveler out a bit. If you try to get the traveler above center or over sheet, the boat will stall and crab sideways.

Tiller? Yes, you swing the tiller aft and around the main blocks. Hold close to the base and swing around to set on the new weather rail or tiller arm.

Tacking? There is lots written on this subject here in the forums. Search on key words. Basics are to keep up your speed when nearing the tack. Push the rudders over lightly at first, then further as the boat slows (continue to hold the rudders over all the way through the tack). Sheet hard into the tack and release the sheet as the boat goes head to wind. Force the boom out a few feet with your shoulder as you cross under the boom to the new weather side. Allow the boat to come well onto the new tack before sheeting...slowly. then sheet harder as you gain some speed and steerage.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thx mmiller - Good info that is appreciated.

Re: Irons - Which direction should I turn the rudders? If I push the boom to starboard, would I push the tillers to port (which pushes the rudders tips to starboard)?

re: Tiller - Swinging the tiller pole as often as I tack in our river becomes a pain. It seems to mess up a smooth tack too often as well. Has anyone ever extended the tiller arms so the bar is in front of the main sheet gear or moved the main sheet traveller behind the bar somehow?

Just curious.

Matt A

Post subject: Notes
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:54 pm 
Site Admin

Re: Irons... Which way the rudders go largely depends on your angle to the wind when the main is back winded. Sometimes you can get a boat to back a little regradless of which side you backwind the sail on, but you would want to get onto the desired tack of course, so back down so the boat ends on the tack you inteded to get to. As you sit on the new side (intended tack), push the main out (sheet out) and then to the point of backwinding. As the boat begins to back up, push the tiller to the same side (down and away from you). Sail out to Port will back the boat to starboard...sail to Starboard will back the boat to port.

Re: Tiller... crossbar in front of the sheets will only work if you don't use a hiking stick. You can not pass the tiller through the crew area easily. On the Hobie Wave, we use a tiller crossbar only. Some people have added double hiking sticks (short ones).

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Re: A Few Questions
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good info.

I think the back winding issue will help me figure it out with less trial and error.

Thanks again.