Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H14 Turbo modifications
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have added a spinnaker and a furling jib on a halyard.
-The spinnaker is from a fireball but it is a perfect size for the 14, it is a symmetric but still works as an asymmetric.
-The jib was a bit of a hassle as I wanted the be able to store the jib in my sail box and out of the sun (the sock type of system was a bit pricey for me), I had a spare set of H16 sidestays lying around so I cut about 50cm off and recrimped them to fit between the bow and H16 jib halyard block. (The setup is a bit like the A-Cat)
- I had the original forestay as well as the furling jib up but the forestay kept wrapping around the jib upon furling.

-Yes, that is a H16's boom as the spinnaker pole. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nice work on the setup. Do you mind if I share these photos with my own group as we have been discussing a setup on the H14 recently.

Some ideas from your setup which may help:
- Setting your spinnaker pole much lower (This would require shorter spinnaker bridals and not sitting flush to your furler)
- Not sure of the H16 boom idea. But I see you have also aluminium pole which is great and gets a nice amount of pre-bend. Your boom isn't going to do this.
- Do you have any concerns with the bow joins? I have seen them re-enforced on older H16's to ensure it doesn't rip the hull apart.
- On the photo of you sailing your main traveller isn't centred. I'm no expert but upon reading the guides they say your main should act as a backstay for the spinnaker given the extra force so keep your main in tight and centred on the traveller.
- That Fireball kite looks a perfect size, just a shame its not a true asymmetrical cut.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt15 wrote:
Nice work on the setup. Do you mind if I share these photos with my own group as we have been discussing a setup on the H14 recently.

Some ideas from your setup which may help:
- Setting your spinnaker pole much lower (This would require shorter spinnaker bridals and not sitting flush to your furler)
- Not sure of the H16 boom idea. But I see you have also aluminium pole which is great and gets a nice amount of pre-bend. Your boom isn't going to do this.
- Do you have any concerns with the bow joins? I have seen them re-enforced on older H16's to ensure it doesn't rip the hull apart.
- On the photo of you sailing your main traveller isn't centred. I'm no expert but upon reading the guides they say your main should act as a backstay for the spinnaker given the extra force so keep your main in tight and centred on the traveller.
- That Fireball kite looks a perfect size, just a shame its not a true asymmetrical cut.

You are more than welcome to share it. :D

I had the pole lower but then the leech was opened too much.
The 16 boom was just until I got some aluminium tubing.
The bow joins are the old deck screw-in type, I will probably reinforce the lip and add the newer type in eventually though.
The main should be centered and act as a backstay but the wind was so light (3-5 knots) that I let it out a bit to get some extra sail area.
It is a nice controllable size for sailing solo but the symmetrical cut means that the pole has to be rather high.

Thanks for the tips! :D