Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey gang, I'm new at sailing this particular boat, used to sail a Catamaran 14. This boat is an older model, not sure of the year but doesn't have a jib (new challenge for me). I was wondering, I seem to loose allot of wind when the mast twists, can it be locked (tied) in place. There are two small holes at the base that suggest it could be... Second question, I'm not used to having a traveller, the manual I received shows cleats that don't exist for locking it in place. I sail with it in the center clamped down, will this give me maximum speed/ catch max wind or should I be letting it out and watching my head if it decide to come back at me :shock:

Thanx,
Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The mast is supposed to rotate, just not rotate to much.

You should be using the traveller. If you're keeping it centered, you're only depowering the sail on reach.

Post subject: Hobie 14
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:30 am 
Site Admin

Mast rotation - The Hobie 14 and 16 use mast rotation to align the mast foil shape with the airflow. If you were to limit the rotation to 0 degrees you would be creating drag by having the air flow disturbed as it goes around the mast to sail transition area. The stop point built into the mast step casting on the front crossbar fixes mast rotation. This is a somewhat optimal rotation. More rotation can de-power the sail by allowing the mast to bend more. Less rotation will stiffen the mast for a more powerful rig. Some adjustments can be made to this system by filing away or adding something to the step casting stops.

Traveler - The traveler should almost never (if ever) be centered on a uni-rig like the Hobie 14 or 17. The single sail rig boats usually like a little distance from the centerline. Centering the traveler causes the boat to crab (slip sideways). I suggest 4-6" off center going up wind. Near the hiking strap on a reach and pretty much all the way out going downwind on the 14 since the it usually goes best pretty much straight down wind. Use your tell tails to make sheet and traveler adjustments work together. Air should flow over the sail evenly top to bottom. Too much traveler-in will usually cause the upper part of the sail to be too loose. Too much traveler-out can cause the upper part to get over sheeted.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanx for the feedback guys, much appreciated...I will play with different traveller positions on my next outing.

Rick

Post subject: Re: Hobie 14
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

"Traveler - I suggest 4-6" off center going up wind."

Do you mean windward (towards the sailor)?

"Near the hiking strap on a reach"

Is that the worn out tattered seatbelt style strap on my "73 H 14?

Cheers Alan