Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: First cat
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Will you be mostly sailing in the ocean or inland lakes? Normal winds under 15 mph? My first boat was a Hobie 16 and I'm super happy I didn't buy a smaller boat! After 4 years on the H16 I bought a Hobie 20 and now I even solo that if the winds aren't over about 12mph. I always keep a righting bag onboard just incase!
I'm 215# and love to sail my H16 solo and haven't had any trouble righting it at all, the hulls don't take on water at all and the mast is 100% sealed though. The 16 feels "perfect" with my weight on it and am able to fly the hull comfortably ~ 12-15mph winds. With any crew on at all it feels heavy and tacks are tougher. If you are going to sail solo 99% of the time I agree with others that a hobie 17 would be a GREAT boat. Only one sail, wing seats ( wing seats are very very nice - so nice i put them on my 20 ), fast.... several primary solo sailors at my club sail 17's and are smiling ear to ear every time I see them out, however if you get a 17, get the newest, best condition boat you can find - parts are a lot harder to find

My vote overall though is a H16 for several personal reasons:
1: Hobie Alter wrote the book for a beachcat.
2:They're in current production and a proven worldwide design
3:Tons of them around, lots of parts
4:Hobie One Design class is strong - lots of other H16 guys around, races, regattas, support galore
5:Cheap to get in the game, $800 usually gets you a nice older one, $1500 gets you a oldie but goodie in sail today condition, you could sell after a few years if you and get your money back out of it. ***** here in the USA*****

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.

Post subject: Re: First cat
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

chrisb123 wrote:
I'm looking to get into solo sailing

Should I get a hobie 16 or 14 as my first boat to sail solo?
I have pretty much never sailed before, except a 45ft cat I chartered for a week.
I weigh 210lb and will 99.99% of the time sail solo

Quote:
I am 6' 3" and 225lbs have a hobie 14 that is perfect for me and I also take my two boys out age 14 and 10 and it does just fine. Just need to add a jib to help get the bow through the turns when tacking. in light wind can be a pain