Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It is pretty windy in the Corpus Christi area, to say the very least. If I had a Hobie I think I would want to take it to Port Aransas and beach launch and sail in the Gulf of Mexico. I saw what looked like a good deal on a Hobie 14 on Craigslist. I called the guy and talked to him about it. He said he wouldn't advise me taking it to the beach on the Gulf of Mexico except on very calm days. He said this boat needs to sail on flat water. That is a bit of a disappointment. I thought that sailing in the surf at the beach was the whole point of these boats. Or is that just the 16 or larger?

I would like to hear people's experience sailing a Hobie 14 at the beach on the ocean. I don't know if there is anything that would make the Gulf of Mexico along the mid Texas coast different than the beach in California or on the east coast. Does the 14 do alright in the waves a short distance from the beach? Before I pull the trigger on this boat I want to know if I have realistic expectations.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:07 pm 
Site Admin

The Hobie 14 was "born" in the surf in Southern California.

I'd say the guy is concerned with the age or condition of that one.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I took my 14T to the Florida panhandle last summer, sailed in the surf and swells for five days in light to moderate wind and waves (up to 15 knt wind and 5 foot seas) and had a blast. I didn't stick close to shore and would go several miles down the beach and back. Keep an eye on the leeward bow and if it gets too deep in the water move farther aft on the trampoline. I weigh 200 lbs and am heavy for the 14, but had a great time. If the boat has solid hulls and sound standing rigging you'll have no problem.

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28