Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is a Jib Worth It?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,

I'm in the middle of restoring an H14 look-alike designed and built by my friend's granddad (a master sailor and engineer, who designed tanks for a living). I'm a novice, and I've only ever sailed this, a Hobie Wave, and a couple different Sunfish when I was in Boy Scouts as a kid.

I've never sailed a boat with a jib, but I thought it would be neat to add one to mine.

My question is: is a jib on a 14 actually useful? I get the benefit on a bigger boat, but the one on the turbo seems kinda small. I'm curious how much it actually affects the performance, and in what ways. I'd rather not shell out a couple hundred bucks for something that is only marginally useful.

If not, are there any better alternatives for a foresail? Should I just not bother with a foresail at all?

Thanks!
~Andrew

Post subject: Re: Is a Jib Worth It?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I sail both a 14 and a 14-T and I've found having jib makes a big difference. It not only makes the boat significantly faster, but it helps better balance the boat as my turbo tends to rock fore and aft much less than than the uni-rig. The jib also makes a huge difference when it comes to tacking, which can be a chore on on the standard 14. It helps to push the bow through the eye of the wind.

I'd say the jib is worth it. That's a nice looking cat.

-Sam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for your advice!

Once I deal with my leaky hulls, I'll start looking into a jib.

And thank you. Honestly, the pictures don't even do it justice. The trampoline frame is built from polished aircraft-grade aluminum, and with a little bit of elbow grease I got it to shine like an old warplane. The guy who built it was the best kind of crazy. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I sail my 14 mostly in heavy air- when I can't manage the 16 solo. I'd say no- the jib doesn't make much difference in outright speed. Makes tacking far easier, especially in a chop. Having the jib loads the bows on a reach. At 160, I'm trapped out behind the crossbar to avoid pitchpole, particularly coming off waves. All in all, I think the answer is "it depends"! In light airs, I'd say the jib gives its most noticeable performance improvement.

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:24 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

A consideration when adding a jib is the increased - and different - loads it will impose on the boat structure.

The bridle wires on your boat are very long; a jib will need a much shorter bridle, which increases the side loading on the hulls and on the bridle/hull attachments. There are ways around this (bow foil), but they add weight in the worst possible place - forward.

A jib will also increase compression on the mast / front crossbeam. I can't tell from your photo if there is a dolphin striker, but you will definitely need one if you add a jib.

(And speaking of the photo, please make it smaller if you're going to have it in a signature - it takes up a lot of screen real estate.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

No, I don't have a dolphin striker. What do you think would be involved with adding one?

A performance increase in light wind would definitely make it worth it for me. I'm only at my beach house every other weekend, and it seems like every time I've been there wind has been low. I've basically only ever done light wind sailing. Lots of small pond Sunfish sailing when I was in scouts as a kid.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

No dolphin striker? Could make it interesting when the hulls flex about the tramp. It's also useful when pulling the boat onto a trailer.

On the aircraft-grade aluminum, if it is a 7000-series alloy it will corrode in salt water much more quickly than marine aluminum in the 5000-series alloy. I'd rinse it off after every outing in salt water to minimize the electrolyte that completes the galvanic circuit.

On the jib, in addition to what others have posted, it's nearly useless when running, but that's not enough to say it's not very useful on a reach or when tacking. The only way I'd consider not adding it is if you have mast-up storage where you wouldn't want to leave the rolled-up jib exposed to the elements.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:42 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

John from Tampa wrote:
On the aircraft-grade aluminum, if it is a 7000-series alloy it will corrode in salt water much more quickly than marine aluminum in the 5000-series alloy.

While that is true, the aluminum alloy used in Hobie Cats' extrusions (and almost every other recreational sailboat's extrusions) is 6061 with T6 solution heat treatment and artificial aging.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a Hobie Cat 14 and just took it out for first run last weekend. There was plenty of wind, but had a problem catching wind after a tack, couldn't get bow to swing through the turn. I think this is where a jib helps out, so I will be adding a jib.
Also left rudder kept kicking up on it's own, so I need to adjust the locks. Can't believe how hard it is to keep rudder straight when it kicks up..lots of water pressure.