Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mast raker question
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What is the part number/correct size of the mast raker cam cleat?

Going to install one on the new boat.

Also, how does the end of the mast raker line attach to the forestay? I have seen pics that appear to have the line run through the bottom of the 10 hole adjuster above the shackle with a stopper knot on the end. I have also seen a rig the appears to have the mast raker line tied via bowline to an extra pin in the forestay adjuster.

I figure some of you vets can shed some light...I had a tough time downwind last year, maybe using the mast raker line will help.

Post subject: Re: Mast raker question
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I used a small Ronstan cam cleat when adding this rake line. Be sure to install a small fairlead about an inch in front of the cleat so the line feeds into the cleat without popping out. I drilled and tapped the crossbar with a 10-24 tap and then installed the cleat with machine screws and Loctite.

As for tying the line to the bridles, it doesn't really matter how you do it as long as it doesn't come undone....

Don't expect the rake line to make some type of drastic improvement in performance. I look at it more as one of those things that you just do because everyone else is doing it, not necessarily because it makes any difference. Racing the 14 downwind is a parade.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:15 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

srm wrote:
Racing the 14 downwind is a parade.

Not so, young Padawan.

Yes, if you follow the leader. However, when you know that the 14 tacks downwind as fast as it goes dead downwind, then that opens up opportunities, especially in light air when you can go after puffs.

I've taken advantage of that many times.

83Turbo - you must remember to uncleat the mast rake line before turning upwind. You'll either break the line, the cleat, or the cleat mount if you do not.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Funny you should mention that about tacking downwind. At last year's NAC, pretty much everyone was going straight downwind except Nicholas who was doing a lot of jibing downwind. He would go zipping across at a 45 degree angle, jibe over, and come zipping back crossing the parade in the exact same spot he started. I guess tacking downwind would be an advantage if there were patches of puffs to catch, but certainly no faster otherwise.

As for ripping the cleat out, I can't tell you how many times I sailed a quarter of the upwind leg with the mast raked forward before I realized that I forgot to uncleat the thing but it was more than a few and the cleat held. Not saying I would recommend that, but it's good to know it is reasonably strong if installed properly. Having the fairlead ahead of the cleat probably helps to take some of the strain off the cleat itself. Definitely be sure to use the correct size drill bit when drilling and tapping the mounting screws.

The other thing it seems you have to do if you want to sail "fast" downwind on the 14 (they are actually agonizingly slow downwind) is to face backwards and sit on the boom. The good guys seem like they sail the whole downwind leg facing backwards, never even looking where the boat is going.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:02 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

srm wrote:
The other thing it seems you have to do if you want to sail "fast" downwind on the 14 (they are actually agonizingly slow downwind) is to face backwards and sit on the boom. The good guys seem like they sail the whole downwind leg facing backwards, never even looking where the boat is going.

I stand on the front crossbar, next to the mast - it gets your weight as far forward as possible (further than sitting on the boom) and your body provides extra "sail area" since you're headed dead downwind. You need a shock cord vang/preventer to hold out the sail for you.

You face back, because that's where the wind's coming from - if you're going off to catch a puff, you have to see it coming from a long way away.