Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Frame bracing
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I notice on my 14T that the hulls move quite a bit forward and backward from one another. I noticed this when pushing one hull while it was trailered and saw the other hull stayed where it was, putting a slight twist in the frame

I read somewhere that a tight trampoline helps to brace the hulls. I was wondering if this movement of the hulls could be damaging in rougher seas or stronger winds? Would it be a good idea to brace the frame with two lengths of wire rope (like the shroud wire) fixed diagonally under the tramp, one from from the left stern pylon to the right bow pylon and the other from the right stern to left bow pylon?

Thoughts?

I went out for my first ever sail on a hobie last weekend and what a buzz. Thanks to everyone here on the forums for such great advice. Makes learning for a newbie non-sailor much easier! It's safe to say I'm now a hobie-addict and my wife is wishing we'd "never bought the bloody thing!" I'm sure once I get her out on the water she'll understand my new obsession.... ya think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It depends on where the movement is coming from.
If the issue lies in the joints of the corner casting and crossbars, then tightening up that tramp ULTRA-TIGHT (as in super human strength used to pull the line through grommets) should help the situation alot, or at least it did on the Abominable Snowman.

However, if the issue lies in the joints between the pylons and the corner castings, then running wire diagonally will just create a pivot point on the bolt in the pylons and corner casting, and the angle between the hulls will increase, which will then increase the drag of the hulls, (as well as the center for lateral resistance, which is key for sailing, but horrible for turning). Of course, if your hulls are just moving front and back relative to the frame, and dont move side to side at all, then a wire would help out, but if theres any wear to the area betweeen the joints, there's room for them to turn inwards. Overall, the effect might not be significant at all, but its just something to think about.

i would try the tramp first.

good luck with her. Her being the hobie, not the wife. I have no advice on the latter.