Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all. I've been sailing my Hobie off the same beach for 15 years but next summer we're hitting the road and trying some new waters. I've got myself a trailer and I'm all set. Couple of questions though...

1)What the heck do I do with the mast? There's the obvious cradle for the top end of the mast but what about the other end? From pics online it looks like it's just sitting on the back of the trampoline frame but what's holding it there? Is it just tied on to the frame or something? If anyone could send me some pics of what's happening with the mast both at the front where it's up in the air on the cradle and at the back where it's resting against the tramp frame that'd be sweet.

2)Rudders on or off for transport?

Thanks for the help all. :-)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:08 am 
Site Admin

1) At aft crossbar can be any type of pad. We have a cradle that straps the mast and cradle to the rear beam. You have to be sure the boat does not slide forwards when braking or aft when accelerating. The mast is held well at the front mast stand and if the boat moves... the connection at the rear beam can move / fail. Best with tie down lines holding the boat from slipping by angling the aft and forward tie downs. The trailer end / anchor points can be further under the trampoline frame. The lines would then run up and forward to the forward posts and up and aft to the rear posts. You can also use a line tied to the forward beam and run to the aft crossbar of the trailer. Pulled tight this will brace the boat from forward movement.

3175 Mast Cradle

2) Rudders on for short trips... I like to take them off for longer (1 hour plus) drives or over rough roads.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That's perfect Matt! Thank you so much. :-D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If you find yourself removing your rudders regularly, look into the hobie 20 style tiller connectors. They will save time on the trailer, which gives you more time on the water...and they are easier to fine tune than the stock system.

I have had them on my last two boats, worth every penny IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:29 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Matt - Comptip track down? Really? Bad form, dude. Always track up - and then don't over-tighten the shock cord so you don't pinch the plastic Comptip track. Better to have the entire Comptip aft of the rear mast support.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:29 am 
Site Admin

Very old photo, but good point!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Since I live on the water now, I don't trailer much any more, but when I did, I usually removed the rudders, particularly after my 16's were damaged in a parking lot by some idiot backing up. When the Miracle 20 style connectors became available, I equipped both my boats with them. Makes rudder removal EASY, even for just shuttling the boats around or for winter storage. At the aft end of the mast, I used a thing they used to sell called a mast caddy- basically 2 extrusion shaped clamps, one which clamped to the aft cross bar, the other to the mast which supported the mast clear of the bar. Don't believe those are still made though. Mine aside, I haven't seen any of them in YEARS. You can use a couple of life jackets of computer packing foam to cushion between the mast and aft crossbar and lash the mast to it. That's what most around here seem to do.

Dave