Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: jib block placement
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

What am I doing wrong? I am having trouble releasing the jib sheet from the jib block during/after a tack when I have it sheeted in tight. I'm guessing either:
- I'm using the wrong type of rope - how much difference could this make?
- Sheeting in too tight?
- normal problem we all have with crappy flappy non-rigid jib blocks on the 14 (or is this just my 14?)

What I was thinking was using the jib blocks located in the middle of the tramp only as a pulley to direct the jibsheet back to new blocks located on the forward crossbar, similar to the mainsheet block. Reasoning is that the jibsheet would still be "anchored" to the correct position (middle of tramp) but would be easier to release with decent blocks more rigidly set on the forward bar.

Any thoughts, cons etc? I have not yet been out on the trap but want to soon, - would this affect use from on trap?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,
I don't have this problem (and my jib blocks are in no sense rigid), but I often notice that with someone else on the boat, they often do. Perhaps its one of those things you develop a knack for. I find that I usually give a pretty punchy, downward snap to the rope, while also putting on a bit more tension to open up the cleats. This always seems to release it on the first go. I wouldn't add more hardware to solve the problem -- enjoy the simplicity of your boat, for mine, its one of its best features.
Enjoy

Simon
Late 70s 14 (upgraded to T mid 80s)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Muzzer, if you have stock Hobie/Seaway fiddle blocks, check that the cams move freely. Then, adjust the cleat angle high so they will snap release. Essential they release well while on the wire. A well setup and maintained stock system will work fine.

Another option is to replace the stockers with Harken or Ronstan fiddle blocks. Personally, I would stay away from a fixed block on the crossbar. Adds complexity, sheet angle and more line.

1/4" no/low stretch line is ideal for the 14's jib system and, yes, a quality line will work much better than the cheap stuff or old and worn out.

Sail fast, Tom G