Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

a friend gave me the phone number of a couple who just bought a 14. i don't know if it's a turbo or not.

long story short, the couple wanted to know if i could help them set it up the first time and refresh their sailing memories (i think the wife sailed some years back).

i've gotten proficient with my 16, so i wanted to know if there's anything that's going to come as a complete shock when i try to set up the 14.

also, will the boat sail with all three of us on it? i'd rather take only one person, but the husband might think that's kind of fishy, and it seems like the wife is the one who's really interested, here, so i don't think it'll be any use to get the husband out alone.

thanks in advance for any help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you can rig a 16 you can rig a 14. Same principle only smaller. I don't think you could get 3 adults on one though. Two people is kinda pushing it, the 14 is very weight sensitive. i.e. if a puff comes and you are forward it will want to pitch. If you are toward the back riding out the puff and the wind suddenly dies fast footwork is needed to keep from going over backwards. I've only had two people on my 14 a couple of times, but that was my experience. We weighed about 320 total. In light air it isn't bad, if its blowing it can be a real handfull to keep it from going over backwards, or burying a hull.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

They rig almost the exact same so you should have no trouble at all.

The 14 will not take 3 adults, but it will take two if you are careful. I spent my entire first summer learning to sail a 14 with 2 on it. It really makes you notice weight differences and in the end made me a better sailor.

In the rigging just make sure to rake the mast back as far as you can to get the weight away from those bows and watch that leeward bow like a hawk. The 14 is a big fan of nose dives!! and backflips, and turtling, but it is a great boat!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A 14 should really not carry any more than two. I take my fiance out occassionaly and find it very difficult to tack and i weight around 175 and she weighs about 145. The 14 rig will be looser than a 16.

20 crew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks for the help, guys.