Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: One Piece Rudder Gudgeon
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The gudgeons on my 85 are starting to crack. Have the one piece gudgeons and have read most of the comments on installing them. Lots of drilling grinding, and looks like you will end up with minimal edge distance on the casting. A couple of thoughts.

Has anyone installed the one piece gudgeons and just drilled and tapped 6 new holes? They would all be between the upper mounting hole and the top lower mounting hole. This will create a small bending moment at the bottom. The casting looks beefy enough.
Or.
The holes line up vertically has anyone mounted the casting using the 3 existing outboard holes, and then drilled and tapped 3 new holes on the inboard side. By my measurements this would move the rudder center line in 3/32 in per side or 3/16 in overall. Would probably have to open up the top rudder pin hole in the hull.

Hobie Mark.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I haven't done it, but it seems plausible. I don't think moving the rudders in or out a small amount would have any impact, and my understanding is that there is a solid aluminum plate inside the transom, so you should be able to drill at tap anywhere within reason and hit something solid.

Your question is from 6 months ago, so maybe you already did it and can share your experience?