Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 14 vs 16
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

[quote="MisterSteve124"]

Are you saying you can fly a hull with 2 people on?[/quote]

No ... the leeward hull dives before the windward hull gets fully out of the water. Our combined weight is 290 lb and with a max load of 250lb per hull (500 total), I doubt that the windward hull can ever get out of the water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

ok I didn't think it was possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

With 300 pounds on the 14, I'd think the 16 would be easier in all but the lightest winds!!!!!! The 14 would be pretty low in the water before you start pushing on the lee hull- and with that much weight on the 14 fore to aft position would be extra critical. When I have to trap on my 14, I'm usually almost behind the tramp to keep the bow from diving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've actually been out on our 14 a couple of times with my wife and sister ... total weight around 430 lbs. It did make the fore-aft balance a bit tricky but the winds were fairly light, maybe 12-15 knots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:07 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Three people on a 14 in 12-15 kts?

Either you're really small people or you're severely underestimating the wind strength.

Were there whitecaps on the water?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I can't recall whether there were whitecaps ... it wasn't at all strong. I do remember plowing straight through a small swell at one point and having it break over us, rather than riding over it ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:15 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Sound like this.

Not like this:

Waves look a lot bigger when you're down low, like on a catamaran.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm actually much more used to windsurfing winds. 30 years windsurfing but only 2 years on a Hobie (an injury led to the changeover). When windsurfing I didn't bother with anything under 20knots. I still have an old sign " Business hours: 9am to 20knots "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Holy crap! with 430 lbs, I'm not so sure my boat wouldn't be a submarine!
I got the 14 for days that are too much for me to solo my 16- if it's too much to handle the 14, I ,too go for a board! I'm the opposite, though- cat sailor who got into boards after a friend on a board BLEW past my 16 on a reach!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

[quote="turbofan"] a friend on a board BLEW past my 16 on a reach![/quote]
Yes, a short board is by far the fastest thing on the water (as long as it's on a reach). I even used to rocket past 18 footers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

TonyB wrote:
Many thanks Pat.

I suppose even at 220 there's the added weight of your wetsuit etc and once the leeward hull starts to go under, there's lots more drag that doesn't help either.

Now to find a 16 !

I suspect Tony has left the thread, but having sailed a 14 in Sydney for 18 years, and now in Port Stephens, the wind here is stronger, more often. And a 14 in 20-25k is a blast, 30k is a bit too much for me. I have a heap of mast rake.

I can't see how you will avoid pitch-poling with two up, the boat just won't balance right, and coming around with the main "locked" in tight is almost guaranteed to have you over backwards in strong winds, sheet it in, but watch out for the wind pushing the jib and lifting the boat at the front, you have to reposition yourself to the opposite side and front very smartly, and have no power on the main at that point. Gybing is safer, if taken slowly, when it really pumps. Can't remember tipping the boat other than coming about in strong winds and not paying attention.

Frankly I preferred the 16, but it needs two folks, and I thought it had less of a tendency to pitch pole, and was easier to bring about. 14s even with the jib seem to have less momentum to sail through a tack, I guess cause they are lighter.

Many years ago, a fellow took me out on my 16 in a gale. We left the jib off, and wow could he sail. He used the rudders to regain control of the hulls if they started to nose, which it will do in the initial acceleration. We did not bother with coming about, just went up on the sand and turned the boat. It was like being in a sand blaster. I have no idea how strong the wind was, but it was way over 35k

Had a 17 too, but found it a bit heavy to lift onto the trailer. Now the 17 goes well with two, but it can be a tad fragile. But its a hoot in 25 kt. Might be the option, as you certainly can sail the 17 two up, or one up, but thats not really the case with 14s or 16s.

Geoff.