Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all.. getting ready for a vacation on the coast of SC. I'll be staying in Garden City. Any good sailing spots for a newbie with an adventure island? Can you sail right off the beach? Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just got back from Garden City about a week ago. With the AI I would think that there are several places where you could walk it down a public ascess, but I don't know how heavy that thing is. As far as places to really launch, I don't know of many on the sound-side, and in reality that inlet is really busy with motor boaters and jet skis, and pretty narrow in most places. There is a good bit of open beach to the right of the peir, but get there early because it gets really crowded there and you will definately need four-wheel drive because that sand is thick. If you don't know what I'm talking about let me know and I'll send you more info. I've seen a lot of people get stuck there. You'll see the area I'm talking about, there are 5-6 H16's parked on the beach there. You can definately sail off the beach and park on the beach down there. Let me know if I can help anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks abbman. I read somewhere there is a place called the point between Garden City and Murrels Inlet. They say it's very secluded, I read that it is in a protected area that has flatwater.. Do you know anything about that..
So it's cool launching from the beach? I know where that area is near the pier.

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Right on. I haven't heard of that area, but if you check it out let me know. It is always a semi-pain getting in and out of that area near the pier. We looked all over for a better place to put in. People are always parking in such a way that they block the access. But, yeah, I launched from that area, sailed down to my buddies place near Murrels' inlet and kept the boat on the beach for a week with no problems. My high school buddies and I always go down there every year. BTW the Marina south of the pier on the right makes a killer burger. Have fun and happy sailing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks alot.. that helps a lot.. I'll definetly check the burger out..

Pat