Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have been looking at the nautical charts online and it looks like for my first sail i want to stay to familiar waters off the great egg harbor bay. More specifically the area between somers point and Ocean city north of the 9th street bridge.

I would also like to explore the area headed south west from that area under the 9th street bridge(rt 52) but i need bridge info on the far west side of the 52 bridge. is that a draw bridge there? the chart looks like it sais 14ft vertical?

Also what launch off Either somers point or Ocean city do you use or recommend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The only place I know of to launch in that area is the ramp near the Tuckahoe Inn next to the parkway. It's on the south side of the Great Egg Harbor bridge on the parkway and Rt.9. You would have to sail under the parkway bridge to get to the bay, but there's plenty of clearance. There is also a draw bridge on the west side of the 9th street bridge. You could also talk to don at Bay Cats. He knows that area very well. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

ok i think i found it on satalite. right between the bridges. Do you know if you need to call ahead and if there are fees there?

How do the draw bridges work? are they on the hour, or by radio only?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

There are several locations to launch a boat in the Great Egg Harbor bay/ocean City area. None of them are very Hobie friendly. :(

As mentioned by JoseyWales the Beesley Point Municipal ramp between Route 9 and Parkway near the Tuckahoe Inn. There is a daily launch fee and a long pier at the ramp to move the boat past. The beach next to the ramp is a swim beach (no boats) but very close to the Parkway end there is a location to beach a hobie.

Somers Point Municipal Ramp, at J.F. Kennedy Park, Sommer Pt. Daily launch fee, pier at ramp and very small beach that disappears at high tide.

Corson’s Inlt State Park Boat ramp at the southern tip of Ocean City. Daily launch fee, pier at ramp before you can get the boat to a beach and a narrow channel to the ocean.

Each of these locations are marked with a "i" on Google Earth.

Sail#4854

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We ended up going out of Kennedy park. nicely maintained launch, no wait , and plenty of water!