Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Greetings.

currently sail Devil's Lake, which, while beautiful, is a small bathtub that can get very squirrely depending on direction of wind (bluffs!). BUT - there are no jet skis, no high speed power boats.

I'm looking for place(s) further north that offer the same peace.

I don't need the huge-ish place, just one that provides decent sailing w/o the added issues of sharing space with uncaring (not all, of course) people on jet skis and power boats.

I'm also very interested in a lake (like Devill's), where I can keep my boat moored so that she's ready to go. I'm a solo sailor and don't always have help.

This could be a marriage breaker, so any help is DEEPLY appreciated!

Thanks for any and all advice and info...

NetraLee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Maybe I'm being too paranoid. I've seen others post about sailing on the Madison lakes - Mendota, I think mostly, as well as Lake Geneva and Lake Wisconsin.

So... are these lakes pretty favorable for a good day of sailing?

One issue I am facing is that we have land in Shawano County. We may end up living there... and Shawano Lake is a big lake, and maybe I could put on my big girl hat and brave it with all who enjoy being on the water in whatever way.

But if there is a lake further north that would allow me to tie it on the beach for the season, I'd really like to hear about it. One of the big pluses to Devil's Lake by Baraboo is that I keep my boat there all summer, so I can go by myself whenever I want.

Thanks again for all the great info. I'm really learning a lot from people who actually understand the questions!

NetraLee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I live in northern Illinois (Rockford), so I sail on the lakes in Madison a lot. No problem with power boats, there's plenty of room for everyone on Lakes Mendota (10,000 acres) and Monona (3500 acres).

Mendota has a safety patrol that will help you if you get into trouble. I capsized there a few years ago and the boat stayed with me until I had mine righted. They also monitor Marine VHF 19 (the standard Help Me channel).

Lots of launch ramps, and nice places in Madison for a beer after sailing. There are several marinas on the north side of Mendota if you want to leave your boat in one place. I like to trailer sail so I can try different lakes or follow the wind and weather.

U of W Hoofers on Mendota (by the Memorial Union Terrace) has a sailing club that costs about $300 a year for unlimited boat use and unlimited instruction if you want someplace easy to sail out of. No launch ramp for personal boats, though. But they have everything from windsurfers and Lasers to scows and keelboats!

Too many canoes and kayaks