Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CA - Mission Bay Ramp
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My parents just bought a place in San Diego (ya-hoo) where is a good place to launce at mission bay? Preferably free? Also any one know of a good place to store me cat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A couple of places -

Santa Clara Point...or El Carmel - both are on the west side of mission bay. (and free) Get down there early though, parking can be limited on summer days!

There are a bunch of cats that sail out of Mission Bay yacht club too - on nice weekends there'll be about a dozen or so out on sail bay. Just a quick sail around the inlet to go outside in the waves! Great place to sail...we'll look for ya on the water!

JB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

can I get directions to el carmel, and santa clara point from the nearest freeway? Thanks,

Luke

Post subject: Directions
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:46 am 
Site Admin

Directions? Both ramps / streets are off of Mission Blvd. in Mission Beach. North of the roller coaster. Take Hwy 8 (or from 5... take Sea World Blvd.) to Ingram street then north to West Mission Bay drive west and north on Mission Blvd. El Carmel is first. Take a right and the second stop sign. Santa Clara is second, take a right at the first light. There is no trailer parking area on El Carmel.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks,
Which would you say is better to push off? It looks like santa clara's ramp (from google maps) goes right into a bunch of moored boats, that can be intimidating, or is there another place to push off?

Thanks,
luke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Luke,

Santa Clara looks worse than it is. There's plenty of room in-between the Mission Bay Aquatic Center dock and the moored boats. It's usually a reach through that area so you'll have plenty of maneuverability.

If you have beach wheels your options open up to places without boat ramps. At Santa Clara you can just wheel your boat to the grass and set it up there.

An alternative place to launch is right behind the Bahia Hotel. http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=99 ... ,+CA+92109 Go into the bahia hotel entrance and follow the road out to the point. You’ll have to take your trailer off and park it next to your vehicle. When I raced Lasers there would usually be around 8 – 12 boats launching from that spot. It gets pretty deep on the main water way so look for the bottom before you jump off…

If you have a dog and just want to kick back on the beach and you don’t mind power boats and jet skis, you can go to Fiesta Island http://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recrea ... and.shtml# Personally I would stay within Sail Bay, but it’s an option.

There are a bunch of places to sail in this area – check out www.hobiedivision2.com and click on “Regatta Scheduleâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for all the info, I have just one more question,

Since mission bay area and san diego harbor are much better sailing than my current location, where can I keep my cat? Are there any yards or anything that you reccomend, I am a san diego local (I have an address there)
We ususally stay there for a few days at a time, is there a place to leave my cat on the beach for a rent fee or something?

Thanks,
luke

Post subject: Storage
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:04 am 
Site Admin

You might consider Campland by the bay. That is on the north east end of ski bay. They have storage yards and a nice ramp and beach.

www.campland.com

<<ALL SPACES ARE ONE SINGLE RATE REGARDLESS OF SIZE

(UP TO A MAXIMUM OF 40FT)

$155.00/MONTH>>

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)