I use many different tools to help me determine where to take my TI out.
1) I find the local Kayaking Meetup groups and clubs a good resource. They show the different trips they are taking.
My thinking is if the kayakers are going, even though they might not be sailing, it is probably a good site. The most likely are not going where there is a lot of traffic from motor boats.
2) Once I narrow some locations down, I look at the map satellite views to see about the area as you have done.
3) I use an application called wind finder. You can download it to your phone or device. It shows the forecast for wind, direction, speed, weather and tide information. I have found this very useful in planning my trips.
4) I also use www.waterwayguide.com
. This shows me the nautical maps for the area and shows the water depth. I can also do screen prints of the areas and take with me.
5) Check the Stating Boating sites for North Carolinahttp://www.ncwildlife.org/Boating.aspx
looks like it has information on boating.
Hope this helps.