Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi !
I'm looking for a beach to launch my Hobie Wave, somewhere on Raritan Bay, preferably near Keansburg and as far as Sandy Hook.
I am making my own beach wheels (tonight-hope they work!).

Thank you,

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've got just the place, in Leonardo.
Right next to the NJ State Marina is a public beach, on the east side of the channel. After damage from Hurricane Sandy, the bathing area and lifeguards were removed. I've been using this beach to launch my H18 for the past 3 years, as recently as last Sunday. Rig your boat on the street and roll it to the water.
Just remember not to park in the access path after you unload your boat.

The hurricane displaced a lot of sand and at low tide the water depth is about 18" at least 500' out.

To get there, take NJ Rt. 36 to the turnoff for the state marina. Look it up on online maps.
I should be out sailing on Sunday.

Also, the Sandy Hook Bay Catamaran Club is about 1/3 mile further east on the water.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you Chris!

I've launched my 19' Potter from the ramp there but never realized there was a beach I could launch my Hobie.

2 questions:
1. Does the beach on the east side of the marina have any restrooms/porta-potties?
2. Can you launch from the beach on the west side of the marina? I noticed, via satellite view of Google Maps, that there seems to be a similar beach on the west side of the marina.

I knew about the SHBCC but it's not a cost-effective solution for us this year. It's looking like we won't sail much this year, just due to our crazy schedules.

Thanks!

Steve
Gillette, NJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Steve,
You cannot launch from the beach west of the marina channel, there is a metal guard rail in the way. At least there was before Hurricane Sandy. You can give it a try, but remember there is an EXCLUSION zone on the water for the Naval Pier at that point, you can only sail east or you'll attract a RIB with a 50 caliber on the deck.

There used to be a Porta-Pottie at the east beach, but it was removed when the lifeguard facilites were.

The cost at SHBCC is also my reason for finding the Leonardo beach.

ALSO: there is a boat ramp in South Amboy, just west of the 'Lighthouse Bay' development on the water, next to where the 'Sandmaster' dredge ties up. On Google Maps it is next to Raritan Reach Rd. It is the location of the former SABC and affords great access to the western end of the bay and the Arthur Kill. I have not been there this summer, but the satellite image shows shoaling from the Hurricane.