Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anyone know where I can access the Delaware Bay or the ocean in or near Lewes, DE ? I've been driving down to New rd & sailing in the Rehoboth bay but with the traffic it sometimes takes an hour or more. I was thinking of trying the Roosevelt inlet but being a rookie I'm not sure how well I could navigate from the ramp through the inlet. I should soon have beach wheels & I have a surf tag so I can drive on the beach but I don't think the rangers would let me launch on the fishing beach. Any ideas or info is appreciated.

Steve.

Sail #64567

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sorry this answer is so late - I mainly watch the island forums.

I live just north of Lewes and call New Rd. my home port. From about the time of your post, the traffic between here and New Rd. has been insane. It's been like a never ending holiday weekend! I have turned around I think 5 times during this period when heading there.

I occasionally launch out of the ramp at Roosevelt inlet. However, I have two mirage drives plus a Torqeedo Travel 1003. I rarely use the motor, but I always use it when I launch at Roosevelt. It would be a hard row in a boat that rowed well to get in/out against the tide so I doubt it's a good place for a cat.

There is a small state owned unimproved launch at 38.690859° -75.136715° on the west side of Rehoboth Bay. You can get to that spot by just crossing Rt 1, not driving south on it. It looks like it may be a touch muddy at low tide but is only a few miles away so you may want to check it out.

-Herb

Edit: Here's a link - click on the little yellow man in the thumbnail and it will open up a large picture: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=38.690859%C2%B0+-75.136715%C2%B0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Herb,
If your looking for a quick launch across the sand try looking just north at Broadkill beach. There are many little access points you could back the trailer up to step the mast and roll across the sand to the water. Plus you'd have a fun little jaunt east to Lewes beach pull it up to the dunes and should have no problem leaving the rig overnight if its just a weekend trip. I have launched many times from the parking lot at Lewes beach but nearly got ticketed for putting my trailer on the sand. I have stored my boat on the beach all summer typically get it to the beach early in the season and pull it off when the warm weather ends for the year. On most days with a short walk up the sand you could probably find someone to take you out or even borrow their boat for a quick fix. Everyone is very friendly and with a constant south wind makes this little gem a great place with little wave action to fly a hull 50 yards from the beach back and forth. Enjoy
-Brad

And a thousand wives and mothers bless his name. "