Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently pulled my fathers 1976 H16 out from its grave under the deck. The boat seems to be in relatively good condition. No apparent soft spots, no large holes.

However, nearly 2/3rds of each hull are covered in small blisters, the largest of which are dime sized. There are also several hairline cracks in the deck and hulls and a small chip missing from the front of one hull. None of these flaws seem to penetrate all the way through the hull, but I need to ensure the boat is water tight anyway.

In addition, the foam blocks inside of each hull appear largely deteriorated, from what I can see through the drain holes in the back.

So what I need to know is:

1) The correct process for resurfacing the hulls, to repair the blisters and ensure any hairline cracks are made watertight.

2) The correct process for sealing the hairline cracks on the decks, some of which are near the pylons.

3) Are the deteriorated foam blocks a serious problem? Should they be repaired in some way? Or can I do without them?

4) Is it possible for me to just lightly sand the hulls and decks with a power sander, and then apply a new coat of fiberglass to the hulls and decks? Following that of course, with a gel coat?

Time is no object for me. I do not want quick fix solutions (although they are always good to know ;) ). I want to do this right. It is very important to me that this boat is resurrected properly and I've never been one for shortcuts. So please, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.