Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I came home from sailing last Sunday and saw water dripping from the bottom of my starboard hull (1982 H16). Looks like it is time to rebuild the keels.

Does anyone have experiance with the Murrays kit? Is it cost effective compared to buying the materials elsewhere?

Does it include enough matieral to rebuild both keels?

I have fiberglassed a few times so the job does not seem to be much for me to handle.

Also, I read somewhere about a siran wrap trick when glassing the keel - what is the trick?

2008 Hobie 16 (currently sailing the crap out of this boat)
1977 Super Sunfish
Founding member of the "San Dimas Yacht Club"
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Murrays doesn't really give enough information in their catalog for a definitive answer. The cost of the hardener and resin is about $56. The mixing buckets are cheap ( > $1). Gloves, Spreaders and popsicle sticks are also chump change.

But getting just the right amount of cloth would be tough. It looks like they're got a couple pieces of 9oz tape. How long? Don't know. But a 50 yard roll would be overkill and costs about $78. A couple of 10ft pieces are $13.25 each. Some places will cut pieces to length. And they may have a chunk of 12oz in there too. Hard to tell.

So yeah... It's probably a decent deal. They're definitely using good quality epoxy (West is what we sell too). I'm going to ASSume that they're getting cloth from West too, and sending enough to to both hulls. But you'll have to call them to confirm.

Personally, I'd want a slower hardener than what I think they're shipping. 205 is good stuff, but might kick off too quickly for most people on a big job. Especially in warmer climates. I'd go for the 206 or even 209 hardener. And I'd want some filler to add to the mix to keep repair weight down - probably 404 High Density.

As far as Saran Wrap, I've used it, packing tape and stiff plastic to get a smoother first pass by covering the repaired area while it's still tacky. Saran Wrap will sand out easily. With stiffer plastic, I hose it down with no-stick spray (like PAM) then let it "dry" before I lay it on the repair.

If you're not familiar with West System, they make great stuff and have a rocking website. Check out some of their technique and project articles @ http://www.westsystem.com. Good stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A way to save $$ would be to go out and buy all of the chemicals yourself using polyester resins. Your boat was made with polyester and there are really no advantage in using epoxy in this application. In fact, I can only think of disadvantages, including over double the price. I wouldn't buy a kit unless I knew what exactly was in it. Does it have instructions?

Wait until Rick Buchanan does the bottom job article in the Hobie Hotline.

http://www.hobiecat.com/hobieclass/

Go here and view a few of his other articles on fiberglass repair in the 2008 issues.

Hope that helps.