Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Okay,
I need some help. I'm replacing the foam core of my topsheet with fiberglass, and I'm reinforcing my keels with glass. Which should I go with? Poly, Vinyl, or Epoxy? I've also noticed, there is 4:1 and 2:1 types. Which one? Also, can I get some recommendations for which type of mat to use in the glass.

Where is good place to order this stuff?

Thank You !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Vinylester is a high grade Polyester resin. Epoxy is really strong no doubt about it, but it's more expensive. A lot of guys use Epoxy because it's easy to measure the hardener and resin using pumps. Gelcoat will not bond to Epoxy as well as it does to a polyester based resin because the Epoxy cures with a less porous finish. Your Hobie was made with polyester resins at the factory. I'd recommend not mixing the two different types of resin. What type of foam are you planning to use for the deck? Replacing the foam with solid glass will make the boat super heavy. Are you sure you want to do this? As for replacing the foam core, 3/8 " thick Divinicell is what is used now days. Years ago they used some Clark Foam (surfboard type). Divinicell is a PVC based foam and takes resin very well. Do not use styrofoam, you'll regret it. As for what type of Matt fiberglass to use...What do you plan to use it for? Matt glass usually comes in one type, but it comes in varying weights. I use a lot of 2 oz as it's really strong when used in multiple layers.