Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

ahrrrrrrrr, thanks for answering me distress call. Me rudder cam adjusting screws are stuck beyond stuck.

Are there any fancy tricks out there to beak them free so i can properly adjust cam tention? as long as we are on the subject, is seven to ten lbs is about right?

So we are all back on the same page I'm makeing refrence to the large plastic screw in the rudder casting that is putting force on the spring below the ball.
I've tried letting penitrateing oil soak overnight. ahrrrrrrrr no love.
I've tried just a little heat. ahrrrrrrrr no love
I've used a 3/8" flat head screwdriver. ahrrrrrrrr no love.

The screw driver just keeps slipping out. I have been careful not to dammage thehead of the screw so I do have that going for me.
Is it typically possable to reuse the old parts?
The nearest Hobie parts dealer is really far away. and I'm a tightwad theese days and dont like to pay for shipping if I dont have to.

thank you in advance, Captian Muddy Toe.

Here is a thought for the folks at HOBIE. How about a parts store in Delaware?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This is what you do.

Take the whole rudder assembly apart. Now put the lower rudder casting upside down in a vice so the screw is facing up.

Get the biggest flat bladed screw driver you can find that will fit in the slot of the plastic adjuster screw. Use a propane torch to heat up the screw driver tip until it's really hot. Now plunge the hot tip into the plastic screw, it will melt it's way in. Just go 1/2 way you don't need to melt all the way through. Once it's in let everything cool off. The screw driver will be firmly embedded. Now mount a vice grip or something similar on the shaft of the screw driver. Apply lots of pressure and the screw will usually come out. If it doesn't you will have to chip the remains out with a chisel and what ever else you can find. It's rare you have to do this and it's a real PIA.

Once you have the screw out, it's best you run a tap through the threads to clean them. Don't cut new threads just clean out the junk, 3/4 inch #10 tap if I remember right.

Of course you will need to buy a new adjuster screw to reassemble everything. It's also a good time to replace the cam and possilbly the other parts in there too.

Suggest you also apply grease to the new screw so you will be able to adjust it for a while. I believe the factory recommends 12 lbs. of release tension but I have never measured mine. I just tighten until if feels right and then try it.

If all this sounds like a major pain you are right it is.

Post subject: Get it out?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:02 am 
Site Admin

The big delrin screw always gets frozen in place. Unless you REALLY want to make an adjustment... leave it alone.

One point on the melting idea: Delrin, when melted, emits a poison gas or fumes I think. Do it in a WELL ventilated place.

Another idea about removing the screw, that works well, is to get a wood drill bit (one of those flat ones with the pointed middle for centering). Use one that is just a bit smaller than the thread size. Usually they have a long shaft and can reach the screw. The centering point fits right into the hollow center of the screw. Be carefull when you drill as the flat bit sticks a little and will chatter, spin up fast and go slow. Also, best if the cam and spring are already removed. Once drilled, the screw threads can easily be collapsed and chipped out with a small flat blade screw driver (with a long shaft of course).

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Mmiller,
your advise is as always greatly appreciated and seems to be ever infinant.
Does hobie pay you to get online and help all of us? they should.
How have you become such a wealth of hobie cat information? How can I grow up to be like you?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:36 am 
Site Admin

Just noticed this last post...

"mmiller" is Matt Miller. I work for Hobie Cat USA and yes... I do get paid for having fun with Hobie's!

I bought a Hobie 16 in the mid 70's and started working for a dealer in the summer of 78. I have owned 5 Hobie 16s and raced or sailed just about all the models we have made. I managed a Hobie dealership for about 5 years in the mid 80's and have worked for the Factory for about 15 years now.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)