Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi all,

I just bought a 1978 Hobie 16. Totally pumped!

I got a great deal on her. She is in very good condition except 3 repairs. Two minor gelcoat repair the size of a dime, and there is one baseball to softball sized hole.

I need to do fiberglass work as well as gelcoat on the hole.

I do plan on painting or gelcoating the entire boat over the winter.

How would you all handle this? (See pics below)

Thanks in advance,

Maury

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Maury, I've attached some PDF files of the Hobie Class Assoc's (HCA) "HOTLINE" magazine for you to take a look at. They have some repair articles which may be of some help with your project. http://www.hobiecat.com/hobieclass/eHCA ... 4_2008.pdf http://www.hobiecat.com/hobieclass/eHCA ... 6_2008.pdf If you find you have questions during your repair my email is midwinterswest (at) cox (dot) net If you find you like the magazine you can have them mailed to you every two months by joining the HCA. Here's a link to their membership https://www.hcanamembers.com Good luck with the fix.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the info Rick. It looks like exactly what I needed.

I guess I was hoping that I would be able to use the old material as backing seeing as there are no rips but I knew deep down that I wasn't going to get that lucky. Lol.

This Hobie Community is very helpful. I am impressed by the knowledge and camaraderie. Glad I am getting into Hobies.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Maury, When ever you have a repair to make with fiberglass you should always try to cut away, or grind out all the old "white" looking glass in the damage area. The fabric still has fractured resin in it which won't allow new resin to saturate into the fibers as it should resulting in a bad repair. Try to avoid using epoxy resin, but do try to use Vinylester which is a high grade polyester type. Your boat was made at the factory with polyester.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks again Rick. I will do exactly that!

Best Regards,

Maury

P.S. I started a new topic in which I asked if I should paint or gelcoat. I am going to shoot both hulls entirely. I want a finish that will last for years.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Rick Buchanan wrote:
Maury, When ever you have a repair to make with fiberglass you should always try to cut away, or grind out all the old "white" looking glass in the damage area. The fabric still has fractured resin in it which won't allow new resin to saturate into the fibers as it should resulting in a bad repair. Try to avoid using epoxy resin, but do try to use Vinylester which is a high grade polyester type. Your boat was made at the factory with polyester.

Actually, epoxy resin adheres better to polyester than does polyester (to polyester)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:28 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Radicalcy wrote:
Rick Buchanan wrote:

Actually, epoxy resin adheres better to polyester than does polyester (to polyester)

Yes, but not the other way around (polyester to epoxy). Good luck getting gel coat to come out right when sprayed on top of an epoxy patch. Unless you have some overriding reason to use epoxy, you should use polyester resin to repair a boat that's made of polyester resin & glass.

It's cheaper, easier to work with, you can control the cure time by varying the catalyst, and you don't have to do anything special to get gel coat to adhere.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think that I will just hit the repair with a solid awlgrip primer either way.

Just to be sure.

Thanks for all the great advice guys! :D

Maury